Urban Agriculture and Landscape Design
The Urban Agriculture and Landscape Design Senior Only Program (UALD-SYOP) is a free program designed for qualifying high school seniors with an interest in Urban Agriculture and Landscape Design with no prior exposure to CTE programs. This program prepares individuals to apply knowledge and skills in the agricultural field.
Instruction will cover the basic skills in a variety of areas associated with agriculture such as horticulture services, agricultural mechanization, agriculture sciences, and/or conservation and renewable natural resources. Instruction includes, but is not limited to, computer science and technology; plant, animal, and soil sciences; design management; blueprint reading; and small and large equipment operating.
The program will be housed at Fox Chase Farm with experiential visits to various agricultural sites around the City of Philadelphia and surrounding counties. Students enrolled in UALD-SYOP will be at Fox Chase Farm (or other industry-related site) for one or two full days each week and report to their home school for the three or four remaining days each week.
Students enrolled in UALD-SYOP will meet all of the requirements for graduation of the School District of Philadelphia inclusive of the senior project. All costs related to projects, resources (texts, etc.), certification fees, and transportation will be provided by The School District of Philadelphia.
- Design, manage and construct the farm’s landscaping
- Design and construct gardens in schools around the city and learn how to turn this into a career or a business
- Create environmental-friendly habitats
- Use technology to test fruits and vegetables
- Manage an orchard and a production garden
- Learn how to operate equipment and become certified
Who is Eligible to Apply?
The UAW-SYOP Program is seeking applications from current 11th-grade students enrolled in a School District of Philadelphia schools. Current juniors must meet the criteria below to qualify for the program:
- Must have 17.5 credits by the end of their junior year
- Have an interest in Urban Agriculture
What to Submit?
Students must submit the following information in order to be considered for the program:
- Completed Google Application
- Student letter of interest
Students will be notified of the next steps via email (please ensure that you provide an email address that you can access) inclusive of an interview