The Retirement Department is here to help you make informed decisions regarding your retirement.
Learn about Retirement Plans and Retiree Resources
The Public School Employees’ Retirement System (PSERS) is an agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that administers the pension plan for Pennsylvania’s public school employees.
The School District reports information on employee earnings to PSERS. Whether you are a full-time or part-time employee, an account is created for you at PSERS.
From the first day of employment, all full-time and most part-time employees will contribute a percentage of your salary towards a retirement benefit. PSERS has four membership classes based on your hire date that determine when you become eligible for a monthly retirement benefit (vesting) and your contribution rate.
|Membership Class||Continuous Employment Since||Vesting Period||Contribution Rate|
|T-E||On or after July 1, 2011||
· You have at least 10 years of qualifying service.
· You are age 65 or older with at least three (3) years of service at termination of employment.
|7.50% base rate with “shared risk” provision|
|T-F||On or after July 1, 2011||10.30% base rate with a “shared risk” provision|
|T-D||On or after July 22, 1983||
· You have at least five (5) years of service with at least one (1) year of qualifying service rendered after July 1, 2001.
· You are age 62 or older with at least one year of service at termination of employment.
|T-D||Prior to July 22, 1983||6.50%|
|T-C||On or after July 22, 1983||6.25%|
|T-C||Prior to July 22, 1983||5.25%|
Employees can visit the PSERS site at http://www.psers.pa.gov for more information.
As a new employee PSERS will mail you several important pieces of information. Look for these in your first 90 days of employment.
Each year in the fall you will receive a statement of account summarizing your total contributions, interest, years of credited service, and an estimate of your monthly retirement benefits (if eligible will receive)
If you are an active contributing member of PSERS who terminates all Pennsylvania public school employment, a benefit is likely available to you. Please view http://www.psers.pa.gov/Leaving-Employment/Pages/default.aspx for more information and eligibility.
If you are considering retirement, you should fill out the Request for Retirement Estimate and submit it to PSERS.
To qualify for normal retirement under the PSERS guidelines, employees must meet one of three qualifications for T-C or T-D members
- Age 60 with 30 years of service
- Age 62 with 1 year of service
- No age requirement with 35 years of service
For T-E or T-F members:
- Age 65 with at least three (3) years of credited service,
- Any age/service combination that totals 92 (“Rule of 92”) with a minimum of 35 years of service. Example: A member age 57 with 35 years of credited service (57 [age] + 35 [service] = 92) would total 92 and, therefore, would qualify for normal retirement.
Other Retirement Savings Options
Aside from your pension account, the School District of Philadelphia is pleased to offer 403(b) and 457(b) plans for all employees. Below is the contact information for all District approved vendors:
Company Contact Name
Contact Phone Number
Ernest L. Repice
Lincoln Investment Planning, Inc.
1-(800) 242-1421 x 1434
Philadelphia Public School Retired Employees Association
The Philadelphia Public School Retired Employees Association (PPSREA) is a membership organization that seeks to promote a general feeling of convenience and satisfaction among all retired school employees within the school district of Philadelphia. Membership includes:
- Opportunities to socialize with old friends and make new ones.
- Support of the health and welfare needs of members.
- You will receive informative newsletters and bulletins to keep you up to date.
- Legislative activity to protect and improve our pensions.
- Regional meetings and workshops to discuss issues of concern to retirees.
- Attendance at subsidized luncheon meetings featuring outstanding programs.
For more information visit them at http://www.ppsrea.org/
Pennsylvania Association of School Retirees
PASR is an association comprised of members who are all retired employees of the public schools of Pennsylvania. Membership is comprised of teachers, administrators, counselors, nurses, secretaries, aides, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, maintenance staff – in short, anyone who is receiving a pension from the Public School Employees Retirement System.
PASR’s mission is to serve others in need and help one another enjoy retirement.
Membership in PASR includes:
- A year round presence in Harrisburg.
- Representation for all retired School District of Philadelphia employees who receive a pension check from the Pennsylvania Public School Employees’ Retirement System (PSERS).
- Protecting, securing and obtaining additional for school retirees.
- Receiving quarterly News Bulletins with pertinent information.
For more information visit them at https://www.pasr.org/
Please click here to be directed to the Social Security website, where you can find information on Retirement, Disability, SSI and Medicare.
Also, for our Spanish-speaking employees (or family members) the Social Security Administration has just made their online financial planning tool, the Retirement Estimator, available in Spanish.
Please click here for more information.
Ahora puede calcular sus beneficios de Seguro Social por jubilación usando el Calculador de beneficios de jubilación que está disponible en www.segurosocial.gov
Michael J. Astrue, el Comisionado del Seguro Social, anunció que el servicio más popular de la agencia disponible por Internet – el Calculador de beneficios de jubilación – ya está disponible en español en www.segurosocial.gov/calculador. El Calculador de beneficios de jubilación usa el propio registro de ganancias del Seguro Social de la persona para calcular una estimación personalizada e inmediata de sus beneficios. Para promover el sitio web y el nuevo servicio en español, la agencia del Seguro Social ha reclutado la ayuda del popular y muy respetado anfitrión, Don Francisco, del conocido programa de televisión Sábado Gigante.
Oprima aquí para mas información.