The 2019-20 application cycle for new charter schools in Philadelphia is underway. Please use the links below to access the new charter application materials for the 2019-20 cycle.
For charter schools seeking to open in the 2020-21 school year, the deadline for submitting all applications and supporting materials to the Charter Schools Office (CSO) is November 15, 2019.
NOTE: The information on this page pertains to the application process to open a new charter school in Philadelphia. If you are seeking more information on how to apply for admission into a charter school for a student, please visit our Directory.
The CSO hosted informational webinars regarding the New Charter Application process (see dates below). If you have any questions regarding the information webinars that were held, please email email@example.com or call 215-400-6139.
- Tuesday, September 10, 2019 (11:30AM – 12:30PM)
- Wednesday, September 18, 2019 (10:30AM – 11:30AM)
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019 (2:00PM – 2:30PM)
- The CSO holds informational meetings in September and October.
- Letters of Intent are due by October 15, 2019.
- Completed applications and supporting materials are due to the CSO by November 15, 2019.
- Within 45 days of the application deadline, the Board of Education will hold a public hearing to review all charter applications.
- Within 75 days of the first public hearing, the Board of Education will determine whether to grant or deny each new charter.
The CSO updates New Charter Application materials each academic year. Applicant teams seeking to open a new charter school in Philadelphia are encouraged to review both the Charter School Law and prior year’s application guidance and evaluation reports for submitted New Charter Applications prior to submitting a New Charter Application. Please note: The CSO does not review or provide feedback on draft applications. Once an application is submitted by the due date, it is considered final and will be reviewed as submitted.
2019-20 New Charter Applications
The table below contains information from New Charter Application Letters of Intent for the 2019-20 Cycle that were submitted to the Charter Schools Office by October 15, 2019. The table has been updated with information on submitted applications, including application narratives.
|Proposed School Name||Status||Evaluation Report||Grade Span (at scale)||Enrollment (at scale)||Primary Contact||Email Address|
|Pod Academy Charter School||Letter of Intent Submitted||K-5||390||Olawa Gibsonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|New Foundations Charter School II||Letter of Intent Submitted||K-8||500||Ronald C. Bradyemail@example.com|
|Juliet Sawyer Business Academy Charter School||Letter of Intent Submitted||K-12||1170||Sharon Ann Daniels, M.Ed.||JulietSawyerBusinessAcademy@gmail.com|