The 2018-19 application cycle for new charter schools in Philadelphia is underway. Please use the links below to access the new charter application materials for the 2018-19 cycle:
For charter schools seeking to open in the 2019–20 school year, the deadline for submitting all applications and supporting materials to the Charter Schools Office (CSO) was November 15, 2018.
NOTE: The information on this page pertains to the application process to open a new charter school in Philadelphia. If you are seeking more information on how to apply for admission into a charter school for a student, please visit our Directory.
* Appendix V: Budget Template was updated on October 2, 2018.
The CSO hosted three informational meetings regarding the New Charter Application process (see dates below). If you have any questions regarding the information sessions that were held, please email email@example.com or call 215-400-6068. Please use the link below to access the New Charter Application Information Session presentation:
- The CSO holds informational meetings in September and October.
- Letters of Intent were due by October 15, 2018.
- Completed applications and supporting materials were due to the CSO by November 15, 2018.
- Within 45 days of the application deadline, the Board of Education will hold a public hearing to review all charter applications.
- Within 75 days of the first public hearing, the Board of Education will determine whether to grant or deny each new charter.
- The Student Achievement Committee will discuss the New Charter Applications at their public meeting on February 21st.
- Each New Charter Application is on the agenda for the Board of Education’s Action Meeting on February 28th.
- For more information on Board meetings, visit https://www.philasd.org/schoolboard/.
The CSO updates New Charter Application materials each academic year. Applicant teams seeking to open a new charter school in Philadelphia are encouraged to review both the Charter School Law and prior year’s application guidance and evaluation reports for submitted New Charter Applications prior to submitting a New Charter Application. Please note: The CSO does not review or provide feedback on draft applications. Once an application is submitted by the due date, it is considered final and will be reviewed as submitted.
2018-19 New Charter Applications
The table below contains information from New Charter Application Letters of Intent for the 2018-19 Cycle that were submitted to the Charter Schools Office by October 15, 2018. The table has been updated with information on submitted applications, including application narratives.
|Proposed School Name||Status||Evaluation Report||Grade Span (at scale)||Enrollment (at scale)||Primary Contact||Email Address|
|ASPIRA College Prep |
|ASPIRA Prep Charter School||Not Submitted||N/A|
|Joan Myers Brown Academy: A String Theory Charter School||Initial Application, Revised Application||Evaluation Report (Initial)||K-8||900||Jason Corosanitefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|New Foundations Charter School||Not Submitted||N/A|
|Frederick Douglass Charter High School||Application Submitted||Evaluation Report||9-12||500||Michelle Martinemail@example.com|
|Philadelphia Montessori Charter School||Not Submitted||N/A|
|Edward T. Steel Charter School||Not Submitted||N/A|
|Tacony Academy Charter School at St. Vincent’s||Initial Application, Revised Application||Evaluation Report (Initial)||K-8||900||Dr. Margery Covello||Mcovello@ap-schools.org|