GEAR UP Programming
A variety of programming provided by GEAR UP happens at each of the 12 high schools.
College and Career Services
- Workshops on college and career readiness will be offered at all GEAR UP schools in order to assist our students throughout their high school years. Students will prepare a plan and have the resources and tools available for their use in each GEAR UP school.
Attendance and Honors Celebrations
- Students are celebrated for having perfect attendance and making honor roll at their schools in an effort to continually increase student attendance and promote academic achievement.
- Tutoring services are provided in class and after school via a variety of college/university partners and local organizations:
- University of Penn, Drexel, Temple, La Salle and other colleges & universities in the area deploy college students to provide academic support to GEAR UP students.
- City Year teams provide additional tutoring and academic advising.
- Princeton Review offers homework help through an online platform.
Leadership & Career Development
- The Urban League of Philadelphia/ TriZen provides the Adopt-A-School Program wherein a local business or corporation adopts a GEAR UP high school to provide leadership development workshops for our students. Several other partners will also provide Leadership Development for our students at each GEAR UP school.
Enhanced College Visits
- Students and Parents have the opportunity to attend scheduled college visits where they will learn about the admissions process, academic requirements, financial aid, and student life at various colleges and universities, both in Philadelphia and surrounding areas.
- GEAR UP offers an array of summer experiences to provide students with academic, college readiness, and career development support. Each year, opportunities are tailored to the needs of the students in the program.
- Parents are invited to participate in workshops related to college and career preparation for their high school student. Topics will include financing education after high school, managing money, study skills, and connecting to resources for success.
- School communities in all 12 GEAR UP High Schools are offered and provided professional development pertaining to college and career readiness and academic enrichment.