Commonwealth Association of School Administrators Ratifies Five-Year Labor Agreement with School District
PHILADELPHIA – Today, a majority of the 550-member Commonwealth Association of School Administrators (CASA), which represents the School District of Philadelphia’s principals, assistant principals, and other school administrators, ratified a five-year labor agreement. The agreement builds on the working partnership between CASA and the School District and acknowledges the sacrifices CASA members made when they renegotiated their contract in 2014 to provide the District with over $20 millions in savings.
“Four years ago, during our deep financial crisis, CASA members made the decision to approve cutbacks for the benefit of our schools and students. Today I am proud to announce a ratified agreement with our principals, assistant principals, and other school administrators that acknowledges the tremendous contributions they make,” said Dr. William R. Hite, Superintendent and CEO of the School District of Philadelphia.
“I am pleased that we were able to work with the District and believe our mutual effort resulted in solutions to complex issues as well as processes to collaborate as we move forward. This agreement is a clear sign that we are moving in the right direction,” said Dr. Robin Cooper, President, Teamsters Local 502 Commonwealth Association of School Administrators. “I feel the District worked with us and this contract can serve as a mechanism to attract and most importantly retain talented educators that are already in administrative positions in the School District of Philadelphia.”
“I am grateful to Dr. Cooper and her entire membership for coming together and approving this important agreement. CASA’s leadership team was fully involved in a process that resulted in an agreement that is fair and reflects the contributions CASA members make every day in our schools. With this contract in hand, we can move forward and fully focus on the work ahead: making every school successful for our students,” added Hite.
Key Contract Terms
- Beginning 7/1/18 principals will become 12-month employees. The work year will be July 1-June 30 reflecting the full time commitment of the principals and the new realities of the District.
- Employee contributions for the current healthcare plan remain at 8% of the premium for most employees, with a new tier for employees earning less than $60,000, who will contribute 5% of premium.
- The agreement contains provisions for collaboration between CASA and the District on topics including health care plan reviews, and principal development and support.
- The compensation package is made up of a combination of bonuses, steps and increases in base pay.
- The term of the agreement is five (5) years and two (2) months effective July 1, 2016 through August 31, 2021.