SOAR College Credit Program for CTE Students
Students Occupationally and Academically Ready (SOAR) is a program that allows Career and Technical Education (CTE) students enrolled in a PA-approved Program of Study to receive free college credits upon completion of their CTE program as well as, attaining Advanced or Competent levels in the NOCTI exam.
The mission of SOAR is to prepare students for college and careers in a diverse, high-performing workforce. SOAR is the career and technical Program of Study (POS) educational plan that articulates the secondary career and technical programs to postsecondary degree or diploma or certificate programs. SOAR programs lead students into a career pathway that align the secondary courses to a postsecondary program to complete a degree or certificate.
SOAR is built on POS which incorporate secondary education and postsecondary education elements and include coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant career and technical content. These programs include a statewide articulation agreement partnership between secondary schools and postsecondary institutions. SOAR programs prepare today’s student for High Priority Occupations (HPO) which include career categories that are in high demand by employers, have higher skill needs, and are most likely to provide family sustaining wages.
What are the Benefits of SOAR?
- Saving money on college tuition
- Saving time by shortening college attendance
- Getting on the right career pathway
- Entering the job market ready
- Getting a consistent education
How to Apply for SOAR Credits
1. Review list of post-secondary institutions CollegeTransfer.net and CIP Codes that accept SOAR credits in Pennsylvania
2. Follow the instructions and requirements provided by the post-secondary education institution in order to submit the application packet.
3. Fill out the Perkins Statewide Articulation Documentation Cover Sheet
4. Attach Cover Sheet (see #3 above) to student’s completed POS task list (Performance Assessment Log – PAL).
5. Send Cover Sheet and completed PAL task list, along with an official transcript and a copy of the student’s diploma to the post-secondary institution where the student is applying for admission.
List of SOAR Resources
- POS Competency Lists – POS Competency Lists
- List of CIP Codes and Colleges Participating in SOAR – CollegeTransfer.net
- POS Implementation and Articulation (PowerPoint) (PDF)
- SOAR Flyer (PDF) – Marketing tool
- Pennsylvania Skills Certificate Brochure (PDF)
- Delaware County Technical High School PowerPoint on SOAR – This presentation, with audio, explains each step of the SOAR program. This is a general presentation that can be used at all schools and for all audiences, especially students, teachers and parents.
National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS)
For students who score a 70% in NOCTI online Written exams (not Performance), they may be eligible for college credits.
NOCTI collaborates with the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) to evaluate all of its credentials. Experienced industry experts and professors evaluated the rigor of the NOCTI assessments to translate the content into college credit equivalencies.
How Does it Work?
- Students who take the post-test NOCTI exam (seniors only) must meet a 70% benchmark on an approved NOCTI multiple-choice examination to be eligible.
- A College Credit Recommendation Report is generated for each eligible student at no additional cost.
- School counselors, teachers and students should communicate with the college the student plans to attend to see if an “official” transcript is needed or if the free “College Credit Recommendation Report” generated as part of the NOCTI score report package will suffice.
- An “official” transcript may be obtained through Excelsior College for $60.00 per test per student. Because each college is different, confirm the college will accept a transcript from Excelsior prior to completing an application.
Further information can be found at: http://www.nationalccrs.org/organizations/nocti-and-nocti-business.
Print a College Credit Recommendation Flyer
View a list of cooperating colleges/universities within your state
View a list of eligible assessments, assessment content, and recommended credit
Read the official Press Release
Application for Excelsior College Transcript