Kindergarten FAQ’s

What are the age/eligibility requirements for kindergarten?

A child must be 5 years old on or before September 1st of the year they wish to enroll in Kindergarten.

Where do families go to register for kindergarten?

Kindergarten Registration is best completed online. The online registration system makes it easy to register using your cell phone, tablet, or computer. Go to for more information and to access the system. Families can contact their catchment school for support.

What do I need to register my child for kindergarten?

In order to register your child for kindergarten, you need the following:

A.      Proof of child’s age (One of the following is required)

  • Child’s original birth certificate
  • Notarized copy of the child’s birth certificate
  • Child’s valid passport
  • Original baptismal certificate indicating the child’s date of birth
  • Copy of the record of baptism – notarized or duly certified and showing the date of birth
  • Notarized statement from the parents or another relative indicating the date of birth
  • Prior school records indicating the date of birth

B.      The child’s current Immunization Record

C.       Parent/Legal Guardianship Identification (One of the following is required)

  • Current Drivers License/ Non-Drivers license
  • Valid Federal, State or Municipal employment photo identification
  • Passport

D.      Proof of Address (Two of the following is required)  

  • Deed
  • Mortgage settlement sheet
  • Current utility bill (gas, electric, cable, telephone)
  • Recent property tax bill
  • Valid driver’s license or change of address card with your current address
  • Letter from Social Security Office with current address
  • Letter from Public Assistance Office with current address
  • Foster care/childcare and DHS letters are acceptable for registration when a student is in the care of a foster/child care agency
  • Original lease with name(s) of parents/legal guardians and children
  • Valid DOT identification card
  • Current credit card bill
  • Recent vehicle registration
  • Voter Registration Card showing current address
  • Recent bank statement with current address
  • IRS Statement or other wage and tax statements e.g., W2, 1040, 1099
  • Recent Employer Pay Stub showing current address
  • Shelter placement or residency letters are acceptable for homeless students
  • Signed property sales agreement, followed by original copy of settlement papers within 45 calendar days of settlement

D.1- Homeless Youth and Families

  • Homeless youth are entitled to immediate enrollments and their families are not required to prove residency regarding school enrollment. Included within the definition of homeless children and youth are those who are “awaiting foster care placement” and “unaccompanied homeless youth.”  These students should be enrolled without delay, in the district where they are presently residing, or continue their education in the district of prior attendance. See the McKinney-Vento Act, 42 U.S.C. §11431 et seq.

What is the cut-off date to enroll children in kindergarten?

The process for enrolling children in kindergarten is ongoing. However, completing registration by May 31, 2022, is strongly recommended.

Is kindergarten full day?

Kindergarten is a full day program. The hours will be the same as the rest of the school population.

Are uniforms required for kindergarten students?

For school uniform information click here to access your child’s school uniform colors and policy. Once you have accessed the uniform page, click on the School drop-down menu or use the School Directory menu.

Please contact your child’s school or academic division to confirm the information listed on this page before purchasing your child’s uniform.

Is transportation provided for kindergarten children?

Parents must provide their own transportation for kindergarten children who are not in walking distance of the school. However, transportation is provided ONLY for Kindergarten students whose IEP qualifies them for this service. Please refer to the transportation web page for more information regarding exceptions to this rule.

What happens when the neighborhood school is full?

If the neighborhood school is over-enrolled for kindergarten, the Office of Student Enrollment and Placement will identify available space at the next closest school. Parents are to enroll their child/children at their neighborhood school first. If space is unavailable, the neighborhood school will place the child on a waitlist which will then be forwarded to the Office of Student Enrollment and Placement for reassignment.

What if the parent does not wish for the child to attend the neighborhood school?

For the current school year parents/guardians must always register their child for kindergarten in the neighborhood school first. The School Selection Process is for students and families who wish to apply to a school outside of their neighborhood boundaries for admission into grades K-12 for the following school year. For more information visit the District’s School Selection webpage.

Who can I contact for services?

Contact The Office of Student Enrollment & Placement:

or Contact these representatives in the Office of Early Childhood:

Who can I contact if I have questions about the Kindergarten Entry Inventory (KEI) or Parent Interviews?

For additional information regarding the Kindergarten Entry Inventory (KEI) or parent interviews, please contact:

–  Doria Mitchell, Director, K-3 Early Literacy and Special Projects –