Doria Mitchell, Director Early Literacy & Special Projects
Information regarding Kindergarten Registration, Kindergarten Open House, and School Readiness
Kindergarten Registration Policies and Requirements
- Your child must be 5 years old on or before September 1. We cannot make any exceptions to this rule.
- The School District of Philadelphia does not test for early admission to kindergarten under any circumstances.
For more information, visit the Kindergarten Registration web page.
Kindergarten Open House
Kindergarten Open House events provide a fantastic opportunity for families to become acquainted with the excellent learning experiences at the schools and learn about the school’s expectations and ways to support their child’s learning process at home. Schools host Kindergarten Open House events at least two times a year, typically in the spring.
Virtual Kindergarten Open House Slide Show Presentation
The District has provided a Virtual Kindergarten Open House slide show presentation as an alternative to hosting Kindergarten Open House at local elementary schools. Prospective parents will find it helpful in understanding kindergarten transition, readiness, and registration to prepare for the upcoming school year.
Kindergarten Programs and Initiatives
For families of children entering or already in kindergarten who need a smooth transition from preschool to kindergarten, we offer various options.
Kindergarten Transition and School Readiness
The District supports Kindergarten Transition and School Readiness through:
- The development of a transition plan created jointly between pre-k programs and elementary schools during the annual Building Bridges event
- Events designed to help parents and guardians of pre-k children and kindergarten teachers collaborate with each other
- Providing support and information to help parents and guardians prepare their pre-k children for kindergarten
- Early kindergarten registration
- Kindergarten Open House events at District schools for parents, guardians, and pre-k children
- A city-wide Kindergarten Mixer held during the summer at the Please Touch Museum for the families of children entering kindergarten
- Partnership with community agencies to raise awareness of school readiness, transition, kindergarten registration dates, and procedures