Doria Mitchell, Director, Early Literacy
Information regarding Kindergarten Registration, Kindergarten Open House and School Readiness
Kindergarten Registration Policies and Requirements
- Your child must be 5 years old on or before September 1. We cannot make any exceptions to this rule.
- The School District of Philadelphia does not test for early admission to kindergarten under any circumstances.
- Any 6-year-old child who did NOT attend kindergarten may attend kindergarten instead of 1st grade, at the written request of the parent(s).
More information regarding Kindergarten Registration can be found here.
Kindergarten Open House
Kindergarten Open House events provide a wonderful opportunity for families to become acquainted with the excellent learning experiences at the schools, as well as learn about the school’s expectations and ways to support their child’s learning process at home. Schools host Kindergarten Open House events at least two times a year, typically in the spring. The latest schedules of Open Houses can be found here.
Kindergarten Programs and Initiatives
For families of children entering or already in kindergarten who need a smooth transition from preschool to kindergarten, we offer a variety of options.
Kindergarten Transition and School Readiness
Kindergarten Transition and School Readiness is supported throughout the District through:
- The development of a transition plan created jointly between pre-k programs and elementary schools during the annual Building Bridges event
- Events designed to help parents and guardians of pre-k children and kindergarten teachers collaborate with each other
- Provide support and information to help parents and guardians prepare their pre-k children for kindergarten
- Early kindergarten registration
- Kindergarten Open House events at District schools for parents, guardians, and pre-k children
- A city-wide Kindergarten Mixer held during the summer at the Please Touch Museum for the families of children entering kindergarten
- Partnership with community agencies to raise awareness of school readiness, transition, kindergarten registration dates and procedures