What is the District Family Engagement Action Group?
The District Family Engagement Action Group, formerly known as the District Advisory Council, is a group of parents, family members, and caretakers from across the School District of Philadelphia committed to family engagement in their school communities. Through bi-monthly meetings and other family engagement events, families will become more knowledgeable about and provide input to district leaders and offices on district and school-related issues of concern to families of students in District schools. Informed by their individual perspectives and those of their school communities, Action Group members will work collaboratively to recommend solutions that are workable for all those concerned. In turn, Action Group members will champion the work of family engagement in their school communities by sharing information, best practices, District news, and initiatives.
The objectives of the District Family Engagement Action Group are to:
- increase family participation in decision making;
- establish a network of community resources;
- foster collaboration between families and school/district staff;
- equip families with tools to enhance and extend learning; and
- evaluate family engagement efforts and use evaluations for continuous improvement.