Fill Out the Child Abuse History Clearance
Part One: Create a New Account and Get a Temporary Password
- Go to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS/Public/Home.
- On the website, under “Welcome to the Child Welfare Portal”, click “Create Individual Account.”
Note: You will need an email address to create an account.
Note: If you already have an account, click “Individual Login” to access your clearances or request updated clearances.
- You will be taken to a new page titled “Create Keystone ID: General Information”. At the bottom of the page, click “Next.”
- You will be taken to a page titled “Create Keystone ID: Profile Information”. You will be asked to create a “Keystone ID” which is your username. Complete all sections on this page, create your security questions and answer the question at the bottom of the page before clicking “Finish” at the bottom of the page.
- An email with a temporary password will be sent to the email address you used to create an account.
Part Two: Create a Permanent Password for Your Account and Log In
- Open your email inbox and locate the temporary password. Make sure to copy it
- Return to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS/Public/Home and under “Welcome to the Child Welfare Portal” click “Individual Login”.
- Click “Access My Clearances.”
- You will be taken to a page titled “Learn More” with information about using the website. At the bottom of the page, click “Continue” to move on.
- You will be taken to a page with a login on the left side. Sign-in to your account by entering the Keystone ID (username) you created and the temporary password that was emailed to you.
- You will be asked to create a new password. This new password that you create will be your permanent password. Be sure to write it down!
- You will be taken back to the Log-in page and asked to log-in again with your Keystone ID (username) and new permanent password. Log in using your Keystone ID (username) and the new permanent password you created.
- Select “I have read, fully understand and agree to the My Child Welfare Account Terms and Conditions” and then click “Next.”
Part Three: Create and Complete an Application
- Select “Create Clearance Application.”
- On the “Application Purpose” page, select the first option, “Volunteer Having Contact with Children.”
- You will be prompted to choose a Volunteer Category from a dropdown menu. Choose “Other.”
- In “Agency Name,” write “School District of Philadelphia.”
- Complete the application: fill in your personal information on the “Applicant Information” throughout the next several pages, clicking “Next” at the bottom of each page to continue forward.
- On the “Application Summary” page, review your information to make sure it is correct, and then click “Next” at the bottom of the page.
- On the “eSignature” page, select “no,” and then check off the box to affirm that the information you have included is correct. Write your name in the box that appears underneath the affirmation statement.
- On the “Applicant Payment” page, select “no” and then click “Next” at the bottom of the page to submit your clearance application.
Note: if you are still prompted to pay, this may be because you didn’t choose “Volunteer Having Contact with Children” in Step #14 or you have already received your child abuse clearance within the past 5 years.
- You will receive an email confirming that your clearance application has been received. You will then receive an email notification of the clearance results within 14 days of this submission.
No Email? No Problem!
- Print and fill out a paper version of the clearance. Download here.
- Ask your Family Engagement Liaison for assistance.
- Come to our Parent and Family Resource Center at 440 N. Broad Street for assistance.
Questions? Need Assistance?
- For help with Child Abuse History Clearance, contact the Child Welfare Information Solution Help Center 1-877-343-0494