Admissions & Transfers

Enrollment, Transfers, and Admission

Students experiencing homelessness have the legal right to either remain in their school of origin or enroll in the neighborhood school of their current temporary living address.

  • If the student/parent/guardian opts to stay in the school of origin and the distance between the temporary address and the school is one (1.0) mile or more, the counselor is to work with the Office of Transportation and the school’s transportation specialist to make sure that the student receives the proper transportation assistance needed to attend school.
  • The student/parent/guardian has the right to enroll in the neighborhood school of their new address. If you live in an emergency shelter/transitional housing, report to the school with a letter signed by a leader from the facility. If you are “doubled-up” (living with another family member or friend due to hardship) or have no place, report to our office to receive a letter verifying your temporary address. Refugee students will work with the school district’s Office of Multi-lingual Family Support and our office for enrollment help.
  • After either of the cases above, the student/parent/guardian can go to the school to enroll. If you do not have enrollment documents such as valid ID, birth certificate, transcripts, immunization records, etc., the school is still required to enroll you immediately and help you get the other documents afterward. The school is not allowed to stop or hold-up enrollment; however, if you have any of the requested enrollment documents, it helps move the process move along. If a concern arises during this process, please contact our office.

Alternative Placement

An alternative placement may be made for the student’s best interests. This is usually dependent on availability of space in the neighborhood school or a command in place by administration. It can also be made under the suggestion of our expert staff as each case is individualized. Other input can be received from the Office of Specialized Services for students with special education needs on a case-by-case basis.

Enrollment Disputes

If a dispute arises over school selection or enrollment in a school:

  • The homeless student shall be immediately admitted to the school in which the enrollment is sought, pending resolution of the dispute;
  • The parent or guardian of the student shall be provided with a written explanation of the school’s decision regarding school selection or enrollment, including the rights of the parent, guardian, or student to appeal the decision;
  • The student, parent, or guardian shall be referred to the district’s homeless liaison who shall carry out the appeal process as quickly as possible after receiving notice of the dispute; and
  • In the case of unaccompanied youth, the homeless liaison shall ensure that the youth is immediately enrolled in school pending resolution of the dispute.

If the District seeks to place a homeless child in a school other than the school of origin or the school requested by the parent, the School District shall inform the parent or the unaccompanied youth of the right to appeal. The District shall provide the parent or unaccompanied youth with written notice including the contact information of the ECYEH Regional Coordinator Al B. Quarles Jr., M. Ed.