One responsibility of the EL Point Person is leading key compliance processes:
Reclassification: Per the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) ELs who meet the ACCESS (or Alt ACCESS) criteria and who have sufficient evidence from school are reclassified (exited) from the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program. There are two sub-processes here:
- General Reclassification
- Dual-Identified Reclassification (for ELs with IEPs)
- In order to be considered for reclassification, an EL must demonstrate the ability to access challenging academic content and interact with other students and teachers both academically and socially in an English language setting.
- Evidence of this ability is demonstrated by the ACCESS test overall score and language use inventories (rubrics 1 and 2) completed by teachers.
Dual-Identified Reclassification (ELs with IEPs):
- ELs with IEPs whose ACCESS or Alternate ACCESS scores have decreased or plateaued over the course of two or three years — indicating that they may no longer be benefitting from ESL programming — are eligible for dual-identified reclassification.
- Final dual-identified reclassification decisions are determined by ACCESS or Alternate ACCESS results and a school-based team’s recommendation.
Monitoring of Former ELs: Per PDE Guidelines, ELs who have been reclassified need to be actively monitored for two years. This process involves reviewing reclassified students’ progress in core academic classes, and making sure these students are not struggling.
Below you will find instructions and resources for completing each process.
- Read the PDE Reclassification requirements here
- OMCP has created a video on Understanding the State’s New Criteria – click here to watch
General Reclassification Info SY19-20:
- SY19-20 General Reclassification Process – INSTRUCTIONS
- SY19-20 General Reclassification FAQs
- SY19-20 General Reclassification Calendar and Flowchart
- General Reclassification Language Use Inventories (Rubrics 1 and 2):
- Turnkey training on using the Language Use Inventories (Rubrics 1 and 2) – presented in November 2019
- How to use the Language Use Inventories (Rubrics 1 and 2) video – click here to watch
- Stepper for entering info in Infinite Campus
- Reclassification Report
Dual-Identified Reclassification Info SY19-20:
- SY19-20 Dual-Identified Reclassification Instructions
- SY19-20 Dual-Identified Reclassification Student Input Form
- SY19-20 Dual-Identified Reclassification Calendar and Flowchart
- SY19-20 Dual-Identified Reclassification FAQs
- SY19-20 Dual-Identified Reclassification Translated Accuracy Certification Statements