Use resources on this page to support your instruction of ELs. Here is a description of a few key resources below. Use the sidebar for quick links to resources.
As a part of the Academic Support Framework, this ELD Instructional Guide:
- Aligns with other SDP instructional guides
- Reflects SDP’s overarching philosophy of EQUITY, ACCESS, and INCLUSION for educating ELs
- Supports language acquisition in ALL academic disciplines
- Guides ALL teachers of ELs in implementing high leverage practices that facilitate both language acquisition and content learning
- Provides a framework for “high-challenge/high-support” instruction in all content areas
- Please note that this document is a live link that will have updates. If downloaded as a PDF, you will not have the most recent updates.
Go To Strategies
The 78 Go To strategies described have been chosen to reflect the five research-based principles of scaffolded instruction for English language learners outlined below.
- Focus on academic language, literacy, and vocabulary;
- Link background knowledge and culture to learning;
- Increase comprehensible input and language output;
- Promote classroom interaction; and
- Stimulate higher order thinking and the use of learning strategies.
Can Do Descriptors
The Can Do Descriptors highlight what language learners can do at various stages of language development as they engage in the following contexts:
- K-12 English language development
- K-12 Spanish language development
Online Resources in Learners’ Mother Tongues/Heritage Languages
This online resource hub provides links to sites around the world that have made available digital reading materials. The web sites here provide access to a range of easily downloadable materials in hundreds of languages spoken around the world.
Lesson Design in Three Moments
Pages 36-41 of the ELD Instructional Guide synthesizes a collection of language-rich tasks within the Three Moments lesson design frame (van Lier, Walqui, 2010).