Policy 138 guides the English Language Development and Bilingual Education programs in the School District of Philadelphia (SDP). SDP shall provide a culturally and linguistically appropriate planned instructional program for English Learners (ELs), which builds on students’ home language and culture. ELs shall be identified, assessed and provided an equal opportunity to participate in instructional programs with equal access to educational programs and extracurricular activities. Policy 138 contains the following components:
- Identification, Placement, and Notification
- Equitable Access
- Evaluation and Accountability
- Parent, Family, and Community Engagement
The School District of Philadelphia is also guided by federal and state policies. See a list below, and find more details in the SY22-23 English Learner Handbook and Administrative Procedures.
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Lau v. Nichols (1974)
- Castañeda v. Pickard (1981)
- Plyler v. Doe (1982)
- Every Student Succeeds Act (2017)
Each Spring, we hold an annual Community Meeting in order to garner feedback from community members and stakeholders.
In response the the feedback we received during the SY21-22 Community Meeting, we created a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Document.
Please also see below for the Presentation Script and Recording
- SY21-22 Policy 138 Community Meeting Presentation Script (translated)
- SY21-22 Policy 138 Community Meeting Presentation Recording
Please see below for the full text of Policy 138:
Have additional feedback? Fill out our anonymous form here.