Mission and Vision
The Office of Research and Evaluation seeks to better the lives of Philadelphia’s students through the implementation of comprehensive, high-quality program evaluation and research within the school and neighborhood environment. Our office also strives to reach schools and their communities through the use of understandable, clear, and actionable data to drive day-to-day decision making. It is our mission to provide meaningful data that can be utilized by school leaders and staff, to drive positive change within the District and Philadelphia as a whole.
The Office of Research and Evaluation will conduct the most comprehensive and quality-oriented research and program evaluations. Our primary focus will be to develop data-driven information that will be used by the School District and the City of Philadelphia to generate theory and knowledge necessary to improve programs and services for students and families served by the School District of Philadelphia.
Continuing, the mission of the Office of Research and Evaluation is:
- To assist in the support and development of grant applications [See Office of Grants Development]
- To evaluate all federal and state grant awards requiring an evaluation to determine compliance and effectiveness in meeting goals and objectives related to student achievement, school improvement, and safety (see Projects)
- To conduct evaluations and prepare reports related to District initiatives that have been identified as priority
- To screen applications submitted by external researchers to conduct research and/or collect data in the District (see External Research Review)
- To coordinate the Research Review Committee
- To coordinate the District-wide Survey program
- To monitor the external evaluations of School District programs
- To provide on-going technical assistance to schools, as well as regional and central office staff