Non-voting Student Representative
The Board of Education shall include a non-voting student representative that serves in an advisory capacity to represent the interests of students in Philadelphia. View below for more information on the application and selection process and click here to download the application!
Qualifications for Application
- Student applicants to the Board of Education must be a current resident of the City of Philadelphia and attend a Philadelphia public school.
- Student applicants must be in the 11th or 12th grade during their term as a student representative.
- Student applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher, and in good standing.
- Student applicants must be actively involved in their school community and willing to work to support Philadelphia’s public schools, on behalf of their peers, on a regular basis.
- Student applicants must be willing to represent their peers by communicating student opinions to the School Board, and reporting Board deliberations and actions to the student body. The student representative must be available to meet with the School Board on a monthly basis, to communicate the concerns of their peers, and make an effort to be at every public meeting.
- Applicants must submit a completed application to become a student member of the Board of Education to the Office of Student Support Services. All applications must be submitted with a current school transcript. Applications must arrive in the office no later than 5:00 PM, on August 13, 2018.
- Applicants must obtain approval signatures from parents/guardians and high school principal.
- Applicants must submit two reference letters; at least one of these references must come from a current teacher or administrator.
- Selected applicants will be interviewed by a committee that is made up of leaders from the Office of Student Support Services, Charter Schools, as well as, youth from a district school, charter school, and Philadelphia Youth Commission. The committee will nominate a student representative to the School Board for approval.
*An alternate student representative will be selected by the committee to fill a vacancy that is caused by nominated student missing 3 meetings, or if the individual can no longer uphold responsibilities of the position. The alternate will be the successor for the remainder of the term.