Purpose: We have spent the Spring and Summer listening and learning. The following document lays out the communications priorities we will use to guide our work based on all that we have heard. Under each priority is a series of specific action steps we will prioritize this fall.
First and foremost, all work of the Board will be guided by the nonnegotiable principle:
“The interests of our students come first.”
General School Board Priorities
- Student Achievement Our students’ potential is limitless. The achievement and safety of our students will drive all of our decisions and we will invest in programs and initiatives that are proven to support all students in reaching their potential.
- Transparency and Accessibility Effective school governance requires the intentional inclusion of diverse populations and viewpoints in order to support and strengthen decision making. All voices matter.
- One System of Quality Schools All of our students deserve access to quality schools. While the School Board oversees district schools and charter schools differently, both types of schools exist to provide quality educational opportunities to all Philadelphia students. We will work to make sure that all children attending public schools- regardless of life circumstances, zip code, behavioral challenges, or disability- have access to great schools.
- Financial Stability In the end, none of our goals will be possible without balancing the ability to make additional investments while maintaining our financial stability. We will manage our financial resources prudently and seek to secure additional sustainable funding.
Communications Goals to Support our Priorities:
- Provide our diverse audiences with information that is relevant, timely, and easily accessible.
- Build trust with the public, students, parents, teachers, and community members.
- Use committees to better engage with the communities we serve and address key District governance matters.
- Develop materials that offer better support to immigrant communities.