Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) Grant Project
The PCCD Grant will help the Office and Climate & Culture achieve the following goals and objectives for LNs 2, 4, 5 and 11.
- Improve school-safety outcomes by expanding and/or improving schools’ implementation of evidence-based, trauma-informed climate programming.
- Provide increased support for implementation of PBIS.
- Implement Check-in Check-Out as a Tier II intervention in all PBIS schools.
- Expand restorative justice programming to 55 SDP schools in Learning Networks 2, 4, 5, and 11.
- Develop a comprehensive, district-wide framework for social-emotional programming and align climate programming with this framework.
One of the projects on this grant is a partnership with two researchers from the University of Connecticut. Dr. Brandi Simonsen and Dr. Jennifer Freeman are renewed experts in the field of Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS). Brandi and Jen are working with leaders from the Office of School Climate & Culture and the Office of Teaching & Learning to provide consulting, training, and systems leadership support to align the offices on specific skills and “look fors” when visiting and coaching teachers and other settings in school buildings. This work, led by Director of PBIS Steven Rufe, is going to be piloted within two schools in SY 2021-2022 and will eventually scale up to additional schools. The overall goal of the partnership is to build sustainability, cross train district staff in skills and leadership systems with school-based staff, and to align all involved on specific PBIS-classroom management practices and provide a sustainable model for training and supporting staff in mastering those skills.