Community Member Expectations and Responsibilities
Community Member Expectations
Each school community member plays an important role in creating safe and supportive learning environments for our students. Some of the expectations and responsibilities of school community members include:
Responsibilities of Everyone
- Respect all members of the school community.
- Maintain a positive school climate by being responsible, respectful, and cooperative.
- Practice using good judgment to prevent minor incidents from becoming major problems.
- Adhere to all social distancing and other public health guidelines as directed, which includes but is not limited to wearing a face mask.
Responsibilities of School Administrators and Staff
- Create and maintain a welcoming environment for all students and parent/guardians.
- Share and continually re-iterate the Code of Conduct expectations for the school community.
- Communicate with parent/guardians and partner with them to support their children’s school experience.
- Ensure that all students are being afforded equitable access to all opportunities at school and are not subject to harassment or disproportionate exclusion from class, consistent with the School District of Philadelphia’s commitment to dismantle systemic racism that hinders student achievement.
- Cultivate and maintain a learning environment that leads to academic success and address challenges that are hindering success, when appropriate.
- Inform all school personnel, parents/guardians, and students of school policies and provide materials/information in their preferred language.
- Review and thoroughly investigate Code of Conduct violations.
- Address Code of Conduct violations with multiple strategies and interventions to keep students in school.
- Implement the Code of Conduct in an equitable and consistent manner.
- Report any reasonable suspicion of child abuse or neglect to the Child Abuse Hotline.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records.
- Seek to understand and comply with all expectations, including the Code of Conduct and school handbook.
- Take personal responsibility to reflect on behavior and admit mistakes.
- Hold yourself accountable to strive for growth and success.
- Find motivation and joy in learning, in order to focus on academic success.
- Report any conflicts or concerns to a school staff member.
- Ask for help whenever needed.
- Support the policies of the School District of Philadelphia, the Code of Conduct and school handbook.
- Teach students to respect the rights of others, including other students and staff.
- Emphasize the importance of being prepared for school and adhering to school norms.
- Communicate student needs and concerns, and in return, also respond to school outreach regarding student needs, concerns and successes.
- Respect all members of the school community and comply with school norms when entering the school building or on school property.