Resources to Support Instruction About Presidential Inauguration
Dear School District of Philadelphia families,
On Wednesday, January 20th, school leaders and staff can plan for a half day of asynchronous and a half day of synchronous learning, so that staff and students have the option to view the inauguration of Joe Biden as the 46th president and Kamala Harris as vice president of the United States of America. Please note that there are additional assignments and accommodations if a student chooses not to view the inauguration.
The Office of Academic Support has shared these Inauguration Resources with our schools to support instruction about this historic presidential inauguration. Resources include reflection/discussion questions, activities that are aligned to standards and frameworks, and resources to support guided and independent learning. You can also use these resources at home with your children.
The inauguration is scheduled for noon on Wednesday, January 20th, and the televised schedule is included below (all times are Eastern Standard Time):
- PBS will air its PBS News Hour coverage of Inauguration Day beginning at 10:30 a.m.
- NewsHour will air live, anchored coverage of the Presidential Inaugural Committee’s Celebrating America prime time program from 8-10 p.m.
- ABC kicks off its Inauguration Day coverage at 7 a.m. on Good Morning America, which will be followed by seven full hours of inauguration coverage from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. ABC will then air The Inauguration of Joseph R. Biden, Jr. – An ABC News Special at 8 p.m.
- CBS will cover the Inauguration from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and will follow this up with a CBS News Special: One Nation: Indivisible at 8 p.m., as a lead-in to Celebrating America at 8:30.
- NBC will air six hours of Inauguration Day coverage from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and will broadcast the Celebrating America primetime special with remarks from the President and Vice-President at 8:30 p.m.
- FOX will air five hours of Inauguration Day coverage, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- CNN starts its Inauguration coverage on Tuesday, January 19 at 4 p.m. EST and will run it until Thursday, January 21 at 4 a.m.
- MSNBC starts its Inauguration Day coverage at 9 a.m., and will broadcast Celebrating America at 8:30 p.m. Brian Williams will give in-depth analysis of the day’s events on The 11th Hour at 11 p.m.