Report Card Conferences Coming
March 22, 2023
Dear School District of Philadelphia Parents and Families,
Report card conferences begin on Wednesday March 29, 2023 – one week from today. Between the 29th and the 31st, families and students will have an opportunity to collaborate with teachers to evaluate the student’s progress since the last term, understand strengths and areas for growth, and consider next steps for improvement or enrichment. Report card conferences are also an excellent opportunity to review your child’s progress toward graduation.
Here are some tips to prepare for a productive conference:
- Talk to your child in advance. Listen to understand your child’s perceptions of their strengths and growth academically, socially and emotionally.
- For parents of high school students, use this Step-by-Step Guide to Accessing Student Graduation Status to pull a report and view your child’s academic details.
- With your child, review progress toward any plans or goals that were implemented as a result of interim reports (or previously). Discuss the big wins and any shortcomings in advance so you can ask the teacher for specific support.
- For parents of high school students, use this Graduation Checklist to ensure requirements are being met and/or are on track to be met. Ensure your child’s courses and program are aligned with one of the Pathways to Graduation. Use the conference as an opportunity to discuss necessary adjustments with the teacher.
- Remember to discuss the whole child. Don’t focus only on academics, talk about your child’s emotional, physical and social state as well.
- Prepare any specific questions you have, or any topics you want to talk about, in advance. Make sure to leave with a clear understanding of the next steps that you, your child and the teacher will take.
Find some additional tips, and a report card conference checklist for your use here.
Remember, we are your partners in your child’s success! Therefore we encourage every parent and guardian to actively participate in report card conferences. Open dialogue and communication between parents and schools enhances the educational experience for all students. Our educators are excited to speak with you.
Thank you for your partnership!
The School District of Philadelphia