If students experiencing homelessness live at least one mile (1.0) away from the school, they are eligible to receive transportation assistance.
ECYEH ensures transportation is in place for students experiencing homelessness. Students are eligible if the school is one mile or more from the current residence.
- You should contact your school and ask for a transportation request (known as a TAR) to be completed. If you are living in a shelter or are working with a provider, have them submit a letter verifying McKinney Vento status. If not , the school can provide the letter in order for transportation to be set up.
- It may take up to 2 weeks for transportation to be set up. In the meantime, we can provide you with day passes. If you need that option please reach out to our team or your Counselor.
SCHOOL STAFF PROCEDURES
- For grades K-12, transportation for students who qualify under McKinney Vento are to be requested on the Compass TARS System. When creating the TAR, you should attach a supporting document indicating this student qualifies under McKinney Vento. This can be a letter from a shelter or other provider, or just a letter from the school. Contact the Office of Transportation for additional support.
- Students in grades K-5 who request a transpass are required to be accompanied by a parent or chaperone who is approved by the school principal.
- The TAR must be completed and forwarded to Transportation within 48 hours. Schools will be responsible for providing the student pass if this form is not submitted within the specified time.
- Students experiencing homelessness temporarily residing outside of Philadelphia School District boundaries are also eligible for transportation. Reach out to the ECYEH Regional Coordinator (Dr. Alfred B. Quarles, Jr.) in order to process the request.