The Free Library of Philadelphia is open! Check the hours of your local library here to make sure your library is open. For the safety of library users and for the safety of library staff, visitors are required to wear a mask inside libraries regardless of vaccination status.
The Free Library also has a Helpline for you to call for information about any library-related topic. The Library’s Helpline 1-833-TALK-FLP (825-5357) is available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Free Library Digital Resources
The Free Library also has free resources to help students with homework and research at home. All you need is your library card. Not sure if you have a library card? Apply for a card today!
- Homework help is just a click away! Need help with a homework assignment? Visit the Free Library’s Homework Help Online where tutors are available 7 days a week for school-aged children, teens, and adults in English or Spanish. Tutors can also help with essay-writing, test preparation, GED courses, and citizenship tests.
- Gale in Context provides support for students in K-5th grades, offering content covering topics such as animals, geography, health, social studies, and more!
- Gale in Context|Middle School provides support for middle school students working on papers and projects, offering full-text magazines and news articles, biographies, and primary sources.
- Gale OneFile offers high-quality content for high schoolers. Students can access magazines, journals, newspapers, multimedia, biographies, and primary sources on a multitude of topics.
- Master test prep and learn vital career skills with the LearningExpress Library.
- Explore our Digital Media portal for online access to the Free Library’s wide collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, music, and podcasts.
Free Library’s Virtual Reading Challenge – Fall Into Reading
This fall, readers of all ages can earn autumn-themed badges and points in the Free Library’s virtual reading challenge, Fall Into Reading. Track your reading streak, write book reviews, and earn bonus points by completing fun learning activities. The Fall Into Reading challenge lasts through November 30th.
The Free Library is also launching two new virtual challenges specifically designed for the youngest readers and their grown-ups! The first challenge is in support of the Free Library’s partnership with 1,000 Books Foundation. The 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten virtual challenge is an opportunity to create a reading bond with your little one and keep track of the books you read together. Information about the 1,000 Books Foundation can be found here.
The second virtual activity is the popular DIY Literacy Lab Challenge. Children in early elementary school can build confidence and have fun learning strong reading skills using materials found at home.
For a hands-on experience, take part in a virtual activity adventure! This month, you can become an alien expert in October’s family-friendly escape room, Friend or Foe: An Alien Adventure, or flex your writing muscles in November with The Writer’s Studio.
To participate in any of these virtual reading and activity challenges, sign up online at https://freelibrary.beanstack.org, or use the Beanstack Tracker app for iPhone and iOS Android. Look for the Free Library of Philadelphia when first signing in.
Contributed by the Free Library of Philadelphia’s Youth Services and Programs.