About Homeschooling and Private Tutoring
Welcome to the Office of Homeschooling and Private Tutoring. What exactly is homeschooling, vs. private tutoring?
Homeschooling is parent-taught home-based education, developed and provided by a child’s parent and/or guardian. A child who is homeschooled is NOT enrolled in the Philadelphia School District.
Private Tutoring is home-based education with a full-time private tutor, who has all mandated certificates and clearances, and is hired by the parent. A child who participates in home-based education with a full-time private tutor by this definition is also NOT enrolled in the Philadelphia School District.
Other options, which are handled by other offices at the School District, include:
- Cyberschool (Philadelphia Virtual Academy): a full-time, cost-free District-run online school for students in grades 6 to 12 living inside the School District of Philadelphia region
- The Online/Cyber School provides instruction through the Internet or other electronic/digital means.
- The parent will have a letter of enrollment from the school.
- Homebound instruction is a service provided by the Philadelphia School District for students in temporary need
- Homebound is provided for a short period of excused absence not to exceed three months, provided for mental, physical or other urgent reasons.
- Teachers are provided to the family for this service. Learn more HERE.
The School District also offers tutoring services. Learn more HERE.