School Selection Before & When Applying
Before Applying …
- It is IMPORTANT to know if you’re a District or Non-District Student because the application process is a little different for both (see below).
- Know that if a student/child does not receive an approval through this process, they will be assigned to their neighborhood or feeder school, according to the home address, unless a seat in a Non-District School is obtained.
- The exception here is if a student/child currently goes to a District a school that is NOT their catchment school, the student/child can follow the feeder pattern of THAT school into the next school. Know your options.
When Applying …
- Figure out which schools you would like your student/child to apply to. MAKE THESE CHOICES CAREFULLY!
- Does your student/child fit the school? Are his or her strengths or interests aligned with what the school has to offer?
- Does your student/child meet the criteria for admission? This includes, but is not limited to: Grades, Attendance, Behavior and Standardized Test Score Results.
- Be prepared to meet any additional requirements of that particular school, like writing samples/essays, or going to an audition or interview.
- Make sure you know where the schools are located and any SEPTA routes needed to get there.