Celebrations are an important part of connecting with family members, especially during this time of year. However, we often end up overindulging and eating too much food at these gatherings. Did you know that on average, Americans gain 1 to 2 pounds during the holiday season? Eat Right Philly is here to help you “Choose a Healthier You” and avoid that this year! Read more for more information on portion control, healthy recipes for holiday favorites, and ways to be active as a family.
First, let’s plan your holiday menu! Switch up the classics and try new and healthier alternatives. Mashed Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes are easy recipes that are packed with flavor and nutrients. For dessert try out a warm Cinnamon Baked Pear, an easy recipe that is sure to please! These recipes are simple, contain minimal ingredients, and can involve the whole family.
Now let’s talk about portion control. Here are some tips on keeping portion sizes down this holiday season:
- If there are appetizers, take a plate and serve yourself a portion of food instead of going back and forth. This is also a great way to practice food safety!
- For dinner, use a smaller plate – large plates make larger portions look small and can contribute to overeating.
- Listen to your body when it tells you it’s full, and take the time to enjoy the food on your plate before thinking about a second helping.
Finally, get your body moving and burn off some calories by doing one of these fun activities as a family:
- Create a list of common household items for a scavenger hunt! Then split into teams and race to find all of the items on the list before the other team does. If it’s safe and the weather is nice, take the hunt outside and take photos of the items on the list.
- Get some friendly competition going! Organize a family football game to get your bodies moving. Swap the football for a soccer ball, baseball, or basketball. The losing team has to do the dishes – ha!
“Choose a Healthier You” Videos
If you have not yet heard, Eat Right Philly is offering FREE videos on nutrition and staying healthy for parents and caregivers to watch at their own pace. This month it’s all about protein, so join us for just 15-20 minutes of your day to learn:
- What makes up a protein?
- What proteins are better choices for my family?
- What are saturated fats and cholesterol and how do they relate to my protein choices?
- Plus Chef Sarah will show you how to make our No-Tahini Hummus recipe, YUM!
After you watch the full video, we’ll send you a free cookbook to help you incorporate more proteins into your family meals. Click HERE to get started now!