National School Breakfast Week is March 8-12, but why not celebrate the most important meal of the day all month long? This ‘virtual lifestyle’ has made it easy to fall out of our healthy routines, with many people choosing to skip breakfast. So use this month to get back into the habit of starting your mornings off right – with a nutritious meal that will keep you energized and ready to take on the day. Get inspiration from Eat Right Philly’s staff in this video and read below for more breakfast tips and recipes!
Breakfast can be quick, healthy, AND tasty!
Did you know 25% of Americans skip breakfast because they feel they don’t have enough time? If your morning routine is hectic, check out Eat Right Philly’s top 3 on-the-go breakfast recipes from our Family Wellness Site:
- No-Bake Energy Bites – Create your own energy bar with a few simple ingredients!
- Eat Right Philly Upgrade: Pair these energy bites with a banana and yogurt.
- Berries with Banana Cream – Switch up your yogurt routine with this sweet 5 minute fruit combo.
- Eat Right Philly Upgrade: Top with any type of seed or nut for added protein.
- Apple Pancakes – Double the batch to freeze the extra pancakes for future grab and go breakfasts.
- Eat Right Philly Upgrade: Smear peanut butter for an extra protein kick.
Do you really NEED breakfast?
- “Break your fast” by paying attention to your body’s hunger cues in the morning.
- Reduce brain fog. A simple breakfast gives your brain energy to think.
- Start a routine for the day. Beginning your day with breakfast can help you perform at your best and stick to a healthy routine.
Invest time to save time!
- Set aside time with your family to plan fun healthy breakfasts. Encourage the whole family to get involved with planning meals so everyone has input.
- Move breakfast foods to the front of your refrigerator and cabinets for easy grab & go access.
- Set the table for breakfast and prep any non-perishable foods the night before.
Upgrade your breakfast with these quick tips:
- Try to include at least 3 of the 5 groups in your breakfast.
- Breakfasts high in protein foods help keep you full longer.
- Brighten your breakfast by choosing a variety of colors – like yogurt with blueberries and raspberries.
- Everyone’s breakfast doesn’t have to look the same…use what you have!
Find a school meal site near you to pick up breakfast for your child!
COVID-19 may have put a damper on many traditional school activities, but school meals are still being provided to students! Grab-N-Go boxes containing breakfast and lunch for 7 days are distributed every Friday at over 100 locations. Click here to learn more about the boxes and visit phila.gov/food to find the school meal sites closest to you.
Eat Right Philly wants to know what you think about nutrition education for parents and caregivers! We value your opinion on how to best support adults’ health and wellness goals, and would appreciate you taking 5 minutes to complete this survey. Thank you!
For more tips around eating healthy and staying active, sign up for the Eat Right Philly Family Wellness Newsletter.