The Philadelphia STEM Equity Collective is calling for applications for its inaugural Student Advisory Council. We are looking for students who will be in 8th to 12th grade during the 2021-22 school year.
The Philadelphia STEM Equity Collective (PSEC) seeks to create a social framework for change; specifically seeking to increase the number of Black, Latinx and women Philadelphia students going into STEM careers by 2030. A part of the Collective is the Student Advisory Council. The twelve members of the Council will help guide strategies and provide feedback on their effectiveness for the beneficiaries of the Collective. The goal of the PSEC Student Advisory Council is to guide the efforts of the Collective through the student voice. Student participation is so important that two students from the council will be part of the Collective’s Steering Committee.
Why should I apply?
- Join a group of diverse peers from across the city that are interested in amplifying STEM opportunities for Philadelphia Students
- Have a meaningful voice and role in the direction and activities of the Collective.
- Earn community service hours
- Gain college application assistance and letters of recommendation
- Develop leadership skills
- Participate in youth-planned and led activities, as well as other special events
Commitments/Requirements of Student Advisory Council:
- Model our Guiding Principles
- Serve as a voice for others providing honest and thoughtful feedback
- Excited about making a difference in their local community
- Hard-working; demonstrate problem-solving, creative thinking, initiative, and a desire to make positive change
- Willing to collaborate with fellow students
- Attend Student Advisory Council monthly meetings and serve on a PSEC Workgroup (monthly meetings) to represent the student voice (~4 hours/month)
- Ability to participate for a period of 12 months
- Parent/Legal Guardian approval for your participation in PSEC (applicable if 18 or under)
- Background clearances obtained (paid for by PSEC, applicable if 16 or over)
The following information is required for applying to the Collective’s Student Advisory Council:
- Completion of all questions in the application
- Two (2) recommendations from a teacher, community member, or a counselor
- Permission from your parent/guardian to apply
- Uploading a PDF of your most recent grades during application submission
The Selection Committee’s timeline is expected to be:
- May 25, 2021 – Application process for Student Advisory Council begins.
- June 14, 2021 – Application process ends.
- June 22 – Finalists will be notified
- June 28 – July 2 – Interviews
- July 6 – Student Advisory Council announced.
- August – First meeting date to be announced.
If you have any questions about the application process, recommendations or permission, contact Betsy Payne at email@example.com.