Explore each topic and question in detail using the District-Wide Survey dashboard.
The District-Wide Surveys
The 2021-22 survey results are now available!
Click the green buttons to access the data in different formats.
View, print, or share results for individual schools using the 2-page school summaries.
SDP is already using the 2021-22 results to inform District and school plans:
- School leaders reviewed their results at the October 27-28 Leadership Convening.
- The Board of Education discussed District-Wide Survey results related to Guardrail 1: Safe and Supportive Environments at their November 17 Action Meeting.
- Results will be presented in the Research Roundup on December 13.
- Click the button below to see more examples of how we use the data!
Resources for School Leaders
Let us know who your school’s DWS point-person is, and we’ll make sure they receive direct support and resources.
This form is for District schools. If you’d like to nominate a champion for your charter school, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Office of Evaluation, Research & Accountability (ERA) is here to support schools in exploring and using the DWS data! Please contact the District-Wide Survey team (email@example.com or call 215-400-6565) or your PESO representative if you need any support.
The District-Wide Survey team appreciates the feedback received from school leaders received at the October 2022 Leader PD directly and through the online poll (see here for a summary of poll results). We are working on a plan to improve support for DWS administration, which will include:
- Piloting a “DWS Champion” support approach, where principals have the option to nominate a school staff member to be the point of contact to receive additional guidance and support around survey administration.
- Offering schools multiple options for distributing paper surveys to parents/guardians, so they can choose what works best for their school.
- Shortening the surveys where possible.
More About the District-Wide Survey
Each year, the Office of Research and Evaluation (ORE) administers the School District of Philadelphia (SDP) District-Wide Survey (DWS) to Philadelphia schools in both the District and Charter sectors. These surveys, which are administered to students, parent/guardians, teachers, school support staff, and principals/assistant principals, measure six key topics related to school improvement:
- Climate – Areas affecting the school environment: school mission and vision, respectful relationships, student safety and support, and challenges to student learning.
- Instruction – Student engagement and how students, parents/guardians, and teachers feel about the quality of teaching and learning at their school.
- Leadership – How school leaders communicate and implement their school vision, how they manage their responsibilities, and how they perceive their level of autonomy.
- Professional Capacity – How school staff work together, what types of professional development teachers receive, and if teachers feel supported in growing and innovating in their classrooms.
- Parent/Guardian-Community Ties – How schools reach out to and communicate with parents/guardians, what parents/guardians think about these efforts, and how parents/guardians are getting involved with their child’s education.
- Equity and Inclusion – How often issues of race, ethnicity and culture are addressed in schools, the extent to which all students and staff feel they are valued members of the school community, how integrated and fair school is for students from different backgrounds, and the extent to which schools promote an anti-racist professional culture.
The District-Wide Survey is one of the best tools we have for assessing different perspectives across topics. Your responses each year are also essential measures of progress related to our new Board Goals & Guardrails. For more information, contact the District-Wide Survey Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.