Meet Keylisha J. Diaz, Your New Student Board Rep!

Posted on August 28, 2020
Categories: Blog, Insights with the Board

Keylisha J. Diaz and Toluwanimi Olaleye will be formally installed on September 17th as the new Student Board Representatives for the 2020-20201 school year. 

Keylisha J. Diaz, a junior at Philadelphia Military Academy, is a natural leader who, as a Student Board Representative, wants to be a voice for all students across the district to improve their educational experience. Keylisha, described as determined and selfless, already has experience advocating for students in her roles as President of Student Government and Vice President of the Gay Straight Alliance at her school. She is also an Army JROTC staff sergeant, with six Army JROTC ribbons, and a National Honor Society member.

At 15, Keylisha discovered the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps and became inspired to join the military. She hopes her career path will begin by attending the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado and then attending law school, so one day she can establish her own law firm and eventually become a judge to help bring justice to society.

Keylisha also has a creative side and has been writing since seventh grade and currently posts stories on Wattpad, a platform for amateur and established writers. She hopes to soon publish a story about young women of color that examines self-image and social issues that stigmatize marginalized communities. Keylisha also posts content on social media that seeks to inspire girls to have confidence in themselves.

In her role as a Student Board Rep, Keylisha plans to share the views and needs of the District’s students with Board Members to improve the student experience. “I believe constructive criticism is important in making needed changes and moving forward,” Keylisha says. “I will give it everything I have to ensure that Board Members hear the student voice.”

Keylisha would also like to focus on the mental health and well-being of students in her role as a Student Board Rep to encourage better communication and understanding between students and teachers, especially in these challenging times.