Board of Education Invites Applications for Two Student Board Representatives and One Alternate for the 2024-2025 School Year

Posted on March 11, 2024
Categories: Press Releases

The Board of Education invites current 9th and 10th grade students to bring student voice to the Board by applying to become a Student Board Representative or Alternate for the 2024-2025 school year. Interested and eligible Philadelphia district and charter school students are encouraged to submit an application no later than April 2, 2024 at 5:00pm. Applications can be found on the Board’s website.

“This position provides students with the opportunity to speak on behalf of and improve educational programs available to all public school students in Philadelphia”, reflected current Student Board Representative Cavance Snaith. His fellow Student Board Representative De’Naiza Watson added: “This role has exposed me to so many new experiences and people, allowing me to advocate for the needs of my student peers. I would encourage any 9th or 10th grader interested in this work to apply. You won’t regret it.”

While Student Board Representatives do not vote, they serve in an advisory role representing their peers on the Board of Education. For instance, they voice student concerns to the Board at monthly meetings and report Board actions to the student body. In the past, they have also met with student groups and initiated important work, such as registering student voters and contributing to the Board’s Candidate Forum during the last Mayoral election cycle.

“Serving as a Student Board Representative provides an opportunity to act as a voice for students in every corner of the city and to share concerns with the Board. It also provides students first-hand experience of how boards govern large organizations,” said Board President Reginald L. Streater, Esq. “I encourage any interested student to apply for this leadership role to help make a difference in your city.”

To qualify as a Student Board Representative or Alternate, students must: 

• Be a current resident of Philadelphia and attend a Philadelphia district or charter school;
  • Currently be in the 9th or 10th grade (students must be in 10th or 11th grade during their term as a Student Board Representative);
  • Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher and be in good standing;
  • Be actively involved in their school community and willing to work to support Philadelphia’s public schools, on behalf of their peers, on a regular basis; and
  • Be willing to represent their peers at Board of Education meetings and to communicate student opinions to the Board and report Board deliberations and actions to the student body.

Student Board Representatives are expected to participate in the following activities throughout their term:

• Advise the Board of Education on matters in the best interest of all students in Philadelphia including the development and revision of Board policies;
  • Serve on the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council and the Board of Education;
  • Serve as leaders that represent the student voice for all Philadelphia public schools (district and charter);
  • Make every effort to attend and participate in all public meetings of the Board of Education held outside of their school day;
  • Receive orientation, training, and support from the Office of the Board of Education in relation to fulfilling their role on the Board; and
  • Participate in weekly student board representative check-ins.

For more information about the application process, please visit the Board’s website or contact studentleaders@philasd.org with any questions.