Dual Enrollment Programs
What is Dual Enrollment?
Dual enrollment is when a student takes a college course while enrolled in both high school and an Institution of Higher Education. Dual enrollment provides students with an opportunity to complete college-level coursework and earn college credits. Dual enrollment offers rigorous courses and provides an introduction to and preparation for college life and expectations. These programs provide an accelerated pathway through college that saves students time and money.
The School District of Philadelphia will cover the costs of books and tuition for eligible high school juniors and seniors at participating colleges and universities. Each college/university has its own admission requirements so please review before submitting your application.
The Dual Enrollment Application Period for the Spring 2023 semester is now open for select universities.
If you have any questions regarding the Dual Enrollment program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or speak with your HS Counselor.
Benefits of Dual Enrollment
• Students get a jumpstart on a college degree
• Helps ease the transition to college academics and builds confidence
•Students can explore college life and the opportunities it offers
• Earning college credit while in high school can help mitigate the cost of earning a college degree
• Accumulating college credits while in high school helps students graduate on time or even early
• Some dual enrollment options are conducted right at the high school at the high school
Dual Enrollment Models
DUAL CREDIT – ON COLLEGE CAMPUS
Students earn both high school and college credit for the same course on a college campus.
DUAL CREDIT – COLLEGE IN THE HIGH SCHOOL
Students earn both high school and college credit for the same course, taught by a college professor at the high school (typically after-school).
Students earn both high school and college credit and take college- credit-bearing courses taught by college approved high school teachers at the
SENIOR YEAR ONLY PROGRAM
The Senior Year Only Program (S.Y.O.P.) is an innovative approach to high school offerings, that seeks to prepare students for both college and career,
by connecting learning in the classroom with real world applications in the work place.
• Enrolled in a School District of Philadelphia high school
• A current junior or senior for the upcoming spring semester
• Earning a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.5 *
• Completing the application by the due date**
• Adhering to the code of conduct by not having any disciplinary
records of violence on their official school record
* Additional criteria may apply depending on the college/university
** Students must complete the application required by the college/university
City of Philadelphia Mandate:
All students participating in dual enrollment courses at colleges and universities in the city will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a religious or medical exemption.