Healthy and Delicious Food Options
As we move into summer and develop a new normal, summer is another opportunity to spend time cooking together. Below are some tips for creating meals with your children and resources for accessing fresh ingredients and food.
Did Someone Say Zucchini Pizza Boats & Watermelon Pineapple Salsa? Yum!
- Check out this tasty recipe for Zucchini Pizza Boats, which incorporates fresh seasonal zucchini with the tasty pizza flavors everyone loves.
- And if you’re looking for a new way to eat watermelon, check out this recipe for Watermelon Pineapple Salsa. This recipe is so tasty on its own with tortilla chips, or would be delicious on top of grilled chicken or fish.
Fruits and Vegetables–All Summer Long!
- Summertime provides us with some of the tastiest produce! It gives us the chance to vary up our fruits and vegetables, which in turn provide us with much-needed nutrients our bodies require to work at its best. The US Department of Agriculture website has a great guide to seasonal fruits and vegetables and spotlights some recipes you might want to try as a family.
Find Nutritious Food Near You
- The City and its partners will continue to operate grab-and-go meal distribution and food sites during the summer, although some locations and schedules may change. Residents are encouraged to visit phila.gov/food or call 311 for up-to-date food distribution information.
- The Food Trust is also operating 4 farmers markets at this time. Visit their website for more information on schedules, pre-order and pre-purchase processes, and other updates. These markets accept SNAP benefits and Food Bucks to make fruits and vegetables more affordable to everyone.
Citrus Splash: Jazz Up Your Water to Stay Hydrated!
- Summer brings about hotter temperatures that can increase risk of dehydration. Drinking water and staying hydrated is important to regulate body temperature, deliver nutrients to cells, keep organs functioning properly, and restore the fluids lost through metabolism, breathing, sweating, and waste removal. Proper hydration also improves sleep quality, cognition, and mood – awesome!
- Check out this recipe for a refreshing Citrus Splash, a fruit infused water. This drink uses carbonated water and different citrus fruits such as orange, lemons, and limes to make a fresh, hydrating, and fizzy beverage without all the extra sugar you normally would find in a fizzy drink such as soda. The US Department of Agriculture has even more recipes for fruit-infused water on its Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetables website!
Summer means more sunshine and less school work for your children. Summer is another opportunity to spend time being active as a family. Did you know that being outside promotes learning, increases physical activity and positive behavior, and improves mental health?
Being Active Together, Inside and Outside
- The American Academy of Pediatrics provides great tips and ideas for getting children and teens outside while social distancing.
- We also know that going outside isn’t always possible. Here is a list of 15 ways to keep kids active indoors, even if you don’t have much space.
- The Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI) website highlights some more indoor and outdoor activity ideas for kids!
Summer Activities for Children
- The City’s planning is still underway for safe summer activities for children. They will announce their summer camp dates and new protocols as soon as they are available. You can sign up to receive email updates through the Parks and Recreation mailing list here or follow @PhilaParkandRec on Twitter and Facebook.
- Philly Play Streets is also accepting applications and will begin rolling out on June 15, pending guidance from the state.
Looking for more healthy eating and activity tips for the summer? Follow Eat Right Philly on Twitter and Instagram and check back on our Eat Right Philly website for healthy recipes and activities you can do at home!