ORE conducted an evaluation of the Early Literacy Specialist Initiative from 2015-16 to 2018-19. Four research reports summarize the findings after four years:
- Implementation of the ELS Initiative
- Teacher Benefits and Changes to Teacher Practice
- Teacher Turnover and Retention (this report)
- Student Achievement during the ELS Initiative
- As schools participated in the initiative for more years, they retained fewer and fewer teachers, particularly within the same grade.
- About 49% of the 570 teachers who taught K-3 in a Cohort 1 school in 2015-16 were still teaching K-3 in a Cohort 1 school three years later.
- About 34% of the 570 teachers who taught K-3 in a Cohort 1 school in 2015-16 were still teaching the same grade at the same school three years later.
Use the button below to download the 16-page report.