Board of Education Holds Third Public Meeting and Installation Ceremony for New Student Board Representatives

Posted on September 20, 2018
Categories: Press Releases

The new Board of Education held its monthly public action meeting and Student Board Representative installation ceremony on September 20, 2018.

Julia Frank, a senior at Northeast High School and Alfredo Praticò, a senior at Masterman High School were recognized by Superintendent Dr. Hite, Mayor Kenney, and the principals of their high schools before taking an Oath of Office.

“Alfredo and Julia have both already demonstrated a deeply held passion for service and improving the community around them. Their input will be very valuable to members of the Board as they govern the District and build a better future for our children. We can’t improve the quality of our schools without hearing directly from the young people who attend them every single day,” said Mayor Kenney.

“The decisions that we make affect all of our students, which is why it is so important for us, as a new Board of Education, to incorporate student voice in our conversations and decision making,” said Board President, Joyce Wilkerson.

Earlier this month the Board held its first two committee meetings: Finance & Facilities and Student Achievement & Support. During the meeting Board Committee co-chairs, as well as Student Board Representatives, were given the opportunity to share reports. The Student Representatives made a brief opening statement:

“Understanding the perspective of students is critical when it comes to the decisions that the Board makes… Julia and I are honored to take on the challenge of bridging that gap,” said Student Board Representative, Alfredo Praticò.

Also during the meeting a presentation was given on the Keystone Opportunity Zones (KOZ) by Sylvie Gallier Howard, First Deputy Commerce Director and Duane Bumb, Senior Deputy Commerce Director. After significant deliberation, the Board voted to approve the authorization of the Keystone Opportunity Zone properties.

The next public action meeting will be held on Thursday, October 18 at 5 p.m.