9. Who will be responsible for SEPTA Student Fare Card management?
- Each participating school will identify a point person who will be responsible for managing the SEPTA Student Fare Card. The point person will be responsible for assigning and distributing the SEPTA Student Fare Card to students, and reporting issues to the Department of Transportation Services.
10. Will the schools need to share a letter with parents informing them of the SEPTA Student Fare Card?
- Schools will receive a communication package that includes a letter that may be shared with all families.
- The Department of Transportation will also send parents a letter with details of the SEPTA Student Fare Card.
11. What does the school do with the SEPTA Student Fare Cards when they are delivered?
- Similar to the weekly transpasses, each school needs to securely store their SEPTA Student Fare Card inventory until the cards have been assigned and distributed to students.
12.How should the school assign/distribute SEPTA Student Fare Cards to students?
- School officials will be trained on the new SEPTA Student Fare Card application which allows them to assign individual SEPTA Student Fare Cards to students based on their transportation eligibility status.
- Before the start of the school year, all SEPTA Student Fare Cards will be pre-loaded with an assigned temporary calendar with limited funding and distributed to schools.
- At the start of the school year, a school official will pre-assign the SEPTA Student Fare Cards to all eligible students before distributing the cards. Those assigned SEPTA Student Fare Card numbers must later be entered in the SEPTA Student Fare Card Application for each student, by the school official. Please note, all assigned SEPTA Student Fare Card numbers must be entered in the SEPTA Student Fare Card Application by September 24th for the cards to remain active.
- During the school year, SEPTA Student Fare Cards that have been assigned to students via the application, before 3 pm, will be sent to SEPTA for activation and should be active for the following school day. Any card assigned to a student after the 3 pm cut-off will not become active until the following evening.
- For all newer students enrolled in the school after September 24th, a Transportation Action Request (TAR) must be submitted in Compass by the school official. The new student’s assigned SEPTA Student Fare Card will become activated 3-4 days after the TAR has been processed. Please note, the TAR process can take up to 10 business days.
13. Will the school be issued weekly Transpasses?
- No, the SEPTA Student Fare Cards replace weekly Transpasses. However, schools will also be provided with two-trip passes to use as a backup in case problems arise. Schools will need to manage and securely store the two-trip passes that have been issued.
14. How are students expected to get to school on the first day, if they won’t yet have their card?
- No changes have been made to the existing process regarding transportation on the first day of school.
- SEPTA will allow students to travel for free on August 31, 2021.
15. Will there be training for the schools about this change and how it works?
- Schools will receive a package that includes a training video and stepper for the SEPTA Student Fare Card Application, a list of frequently asked questions, and a letter that may be shared with all families.
- A slide is available for all schools on the Transportation Website at this link: https://www.philasd.org/transportation/septa-student-fare-card/
16. Will SEPTA Student Fare Card training occur before the start of school?
- There will be virtual Q&A sessions on the following dates:
- July 29, 2021
- August 5, 2021
- August 12, 2021
- August 19, 2021
17. Will I have to Re-assign all new cards for my students?
- No, all cards that were assigned to students in the previous school year will activate at the beginning of the new school year. New students, students who have lost or have damaged cards, and students who use Regional Rail will need to have new cards assigned.
18. Will I need to give new cards to students this year or can I use my Current card stock?
- Students who use Regional Rail will need to have new cards assigned from the new inventory received from the District. All other students can use their previously assigned card or any cards in your inventory.
19. What is the difference between the Old Yellow Fare Cards and the new cards?
- The new Yellow Fare cards can be identified by the numbers located on the upper right hand corner. Old card stock will have a space between the 2 groups of digits while the new cards will have no spaces. (Include Pictures)