ORE conducted an evaluation of the Early Literacy Specialist Initiative from 2015-16 to 2018-19. Four research reports summarize the findings after four years:
- Implementation of the ELS Initiative
- Teacher Benefits and Changes to Teacher Practice
- Teacher Turnover and Retention
- Student Achievement during the ELS Initiative (this report)
From the time coaching began for each cohort (2015-16 for Cohort 1 and 2016-17 for Cohort 2) until 2019:
- The percentage of K-3 students who scored in AIMSweb Tier 1 increased in Cohorts 1 and 2.
- The percentage of third-grade students who scored Proficient or Advanced on the PSSA-ELA increased slightly in Cohort 2 schools.
- The percentage of Cohort 1 English Learner students in AIMSweb Tier 1 increased by 9 points.
Use the button below to download the 44-page report.