The Board of Education Welcomes New Student Board Representatives for the 2020-2021 School Year

Posted on September 17, 2020
Categories: News, Press Releases

At its September 17 Action Meeting, the Board of Education officially installed and welcomed Keylisha J. Diaz and Toluwanimi Olaleye as the Student Board Representatives for the 2020-2021 school year. As Student Board Representatives, they will represent their peers by sharing student concerns with the Board at its monthly meetings and by reporting Board deliberations and actions to the student body.

Ms. Diaz, a junior at Philadelphia Military Academy, and Ms. Olaleye, a junior at Carver Engineering and Science, are eager to begin their new roles and work toward improving communication between students, teachers and staff as well as increasing the mental health awareness and well being of students.

Ms. Olaleye, described as passionate and determined, loves biology and is an aspiring pediatric oncologist. She currently participates in the Junior Fellows Program, hosted by the Philadelphia College of Physicians for students interested in careers in healthcare and medicine, and plays volleyball for her school. The recipient of Carver’s Freshman of the Year Award in 2019, Ms. Olaleye believes the opportunities and community at her school “are a true blessing,” and she wants to ensure that younger students at neighboring elementary and middle schools can participate in the academic opportunities nearby.

Ms. Diaz, known to be a determined and selfless leader, already has experience advocating for students in her roles as President of Student Government and Vice President of the Gay Straight Alliance at her school. She is also an Army JROTC staff sergeant, with six Army JROTC ribbons, and is a National Honor Society member.  She hopes her career path will lead her to the United States Air Force Academy, then to law school and finally to a judgeship where she can help “bring justice to society.” Ms. Diaz is also a writer who posts stories on Wattpad, a platform for amateur and established writers, and posts content on social media that seeks to inspire girls to have confidence in themselves.

“Board members are pleased to welcome Toluwanimi and Keylisha, who are both impressive students with diverse interests, insights and accomplishments; and we are eager to work with them and to be inspired by them, as they fulfill a vital role in bringing student voice to the Board of Education,” said Board President Joyce S. Wilkerson.

To become a Student Board Representative, students must submit an application to the Office of Student Support Services in the spring along with a current school transcript and two reference letters. Selected applicants, who must be in eleventh or twelfth grade during their term, are then interviewed by a committee and then the Superintendent who recommends two students to the Board of Education.  To learn more about the new Student Board Representatives, click here.