D I D Y O U K N O W ?
Students who eat breakfast at school are less likely to show symptoms of poor behavior, frustration, fatigue, headaches, and stomachaches.
Your child’s school meals are:
- Free of artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, MSG, BHT, BHA and High
- Fructose Corn Syrup
- Include ‘No Antibiotic Ever’ chicken products and 100% beef burgers
- Are low sodium, low, fat, and full of whole grains & lean proteins
- Use fresh bread delivered daily and include local produce whenever possible
- Are served at no cost in all district schools, everyday!
Some of our feature breakfast items include:
- Apple Cinnamon Texas Toast
- Yogurt Parfaits with granola
- Smoothie with graham crackers
- Rebel Crumbles which were created by Philly students for Philly students!
Want to know what is on the menu every day? Be sure to check out Nutrislice!
Explore your school’s menus in the Nutrislice app or on the web at philasd.nutrislice.com!
Resources for School Staff
Eating breakfast gives students the energy they need to learn. Student participation school breakfast is associated with the following benefits:
- Improved cognitive performance
- Increased academic grades and standardized test scores
- Reduced absenteeism
What Schools Can Do: Breakfast Your Way!
Food Services is willing to work with all schools to serve breakfast that makes sense to their students needs. Options include:
- Hallway Grab-n-Go: As the students are moving to their 1st period class, they will be able to grab breakfast from the cart to eat in their 1st period classroom.
- Breakfast Carts at Your Door: Food Service workers will travel through the hallways to groups of classrooms. Students will get their breakfast from the cart and return to their room to eat.
- Breakfast in the Classroom: Crates or delivery bags are assembled with meals. Students or teachers pick up the crates/bags and bring them to the classrooms. Students eat breakfast in their classroom,
- Second Chance Breakfast in Cafeteria: Teachers bring students through the cafeteria line as an entire class. Students can then eat in the cafeteria, or the class can bring the food up to their classroom to eat.
Help your students blast off to success in the classroom and beyond!
What your school can do to celebrate #NSBW20:
- Include NSBW in your morning announcements.
- Switch up your ‘Breakfast After the Bell’ model in an effort to increase your school’s breakfast participation. Did you know Breakfast in the classroom and Grab and Go Breakfast have shown the most success in student participation?
- Alternate between breakfast models and have your students vote for their favorite!
- Have each grade in your school compete to be the class with the highest breakfast participation and earn a fun reward. (Learn More)
- Have each class create a poster about why they think school breakfast is #outofthisworld. Hang them in the cafeteria!
- Students can also celebrate with these fun NSBW fun puzzles and activities!
Hashtags: #NSBW20 #SchoolBreakfast #OutofThisWorld #PhillySchools #PHLed