Action Plan Reports
As a precautionary measure, the District hired licensed environmental professionals to remove asbestos containing materials such as flooring, pipe insulation, and visible dust or debris. The School District also coordinated building inspections, clean up, and testing with The Philadelphia Federation of Teachers and Philadelphia Department of Health.
All areas passed the re-occupancy criteria required by the Philadelphia Asbestos Control Regulations and are safe for students and staff. A report with details including the areas that were cleaned and abated, test results, and other information is available for your review for the seven schools listed below:
- Brown Elementary
- Cassidy Elementary
- Jenks Elementary
- Mifflin Elementary
- Moore Elementary School
- Nebinger Elementary
- Olney Elementary School
OEMS administers a comprehensive program to comply with the regulatory requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA). The AHERA Coordinator for the District is a Pennsylvania-licensed AHERA Building Inspector and Management Planner.
AHERA rules require local educational agencies to inspect schools for asbestos-containing building material and prepare management plans that make recommendations for the reduction of asbestos hazards. The rules are published in the Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 40, Part 763, Subpart E.
AHERA rules require local education agencies to take the following actions:
- Perform an original inspection and re-inspection every three years of asbestos-containing material;
- Develop, maintain, and update an asbestos management plan and keep a copy at the school;
- Provide yearly notification to parent, teacher, and employee organizations regarding the availability of the school’s asbestos management plan and any asbestos abatement actions taken or planned in the school;
- Designate a contact person to ensure the responsibilities of the local education agency are properly implemented;
- Perform periodic surveillance of known or suspected asbestos-containing building material;
- Ensure that properly-accredited professionals perform inspections and response actions and prepare management plans; and
- Provide custodial staff with asbestos-awareness training.
For more information about AHERA rules, please visit the EPA’s website.
* These schools are Renaissance Charter Schools.
Alternative Education Schools
|Big Picture El Centro de Estudiantes||Camelot Academy East; PLA North; Crossroads @ Hunting Park||Camelot at Boone||One Bright Ray Elmwood||Philadelphia Learning Academy South|
|2600 N. Broad Street Garage||J.F.K. Security Garage||Passyunk Bus Garage||Shallcross Bus Garage||Tasker 25th Street Auto Service|