The mission of the Office of Educational Technology is to develop teachers and staff to transform instruction and prepare students for success. We achieve this mission through embedded coaching, professional development, apprenticeship programs, and collaboration across District offices.
Key initiatives include:
- Developing a cross-curricular Digital Literacy curriculum that includes:
- Internet Safety and Digital Citizenship
- Digital Tools
- Digital Media
- Coding and Introduction to Computer Science
- Supporting effective models of blended learning
- Offering apprenticeship opportunities in technology careers
- Promoting Computer Science opportunities
- Training on District-wide systems
- Evaluating emerging technology tools
- Educating staff and students regarding student data privacy
The Office of Educational Technology understands the importance of teaching and learning, and works diligently to support schools and teachers to effectively use technology to create teaching and learning experiences that increase engagement and achievement. This includes providing professional development opportunities in the form of coaching directly in the classroom, as well as larger, off-site training.
We understand that students are the most important aspect of any classroom and that teachers are the intelligent and creative force that engages and inspires learners. Technology, alone, cannot improve instruction or learning, and must be used as a tool by the teacher in creative and culturally competent ways to be successful.
Online safety and privacy are important to us. That is why we offer a digital citizen curriculum, Internet safety resources, and a process to review apps to ensure student data privacy. As educators, it is our responsibility to provide a safe and private learning environment, both physically and online. See philasd.org/studentdataprivacy for more information about student data privacy and what you can do.