If you answered “Yes!” to any one of these questions, we strongly encourage you to apply for the Office of Strategic Partnership’s Student Voice Advisory Board (SVAB).
The Office of Strategic Partnerships helps connect schools with outside organizations that offer programs and or services to students. These organizations – which we call our “partners” – offer a wide variety of programming for students, including afterschool activities, arts enrichment and college/career readiness, etc. Our goal is to incorporate student voice into our work to improve the student experience at school.
WHAT IS THE STUDENT VOICE ADVISORY BOARD (SVAB)?
The Student Voice Advisory Board (SVAB) will consist of student representatives from various District-operated high schools throughout the city. SVAB participants will have the opportunity to meet with peer leaders and partner staff throughout the 2022-23 school year. It will be a collaborative space for students to develop their advocacy and leadership skills, share valuable feedback, and learn about how decisions relative to partner programming are made in large organizations like the District.
Student Advisors will:
- Represent perspectives from students in partner programs
- Provide feedback on their experiences in partner programming at their school to OSP
- Offer recommendations for program improvements
- Identify gaps in program types offered and students served
- Collaborate with OSP on projects or conduct research projects
WHY SHOULD STUDENTS JOIN SVAB?
Student Advisors will gain:
- Meaningful connections with peer leaders
- Advocacy and leadership skills
- Immersive experiences to help develop personal and professional goals
- Access to convenings with OSP and partners to help influence decisions that impact student programming
WHO CAN JOIN SVAB?
A student who:
- Attends a District operated high school,
- Is currently in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade,
- Participates in an approved school-based partner program.
There are no GPA, prior experience, or other qualifications to be considered! This is a wonderful leadership opportunity for students!
SVAB MEETING SCHEDULE
Schedule: The SVAB will meet twice a month (every other Tuesday) – for one hour – from 4:00 to 5:00 PM. Meetings will begin in October.
Location: The School District of Philadelphia’s Central Office located at 440 N. Broad Street.