1. Why are you contacting me about guardianship status since my child is 18 and therefore independent?
    • If your child has been designated for special education then the school district where you reside is responsible for education until your child earns a high school diploma or until the 21st birthday. Therefore, school district policy must be adhere to for all children regardless of age.
  2. Do I contact someone in Child Accounting to have my child move from school or facility to another?
    • No, you would contact the Office of Student Placement if the child is attending a school within the Philadelphia school district, but if the child is outside the district, call the facility that your child is currently in.
  3. I am not sure of my status, what is a legal guardian?
    • A legal guardian is a person who has the authority and corresponding duty to make decisions for a child and care for his or her personal needs and property.
    • Authority is granted in writing by a court of law.
    • If the child has lived with you continuously that does not necessarily imply guardianship.
  4. What is a custodial parent?
    • If the mother and father are divorced, or otherwise live apart, or if one is incapacitated, then the remaining parent by court appointment becomes the legal guardian.