What type of documents are included in my employee file?

Files can contain various documents ranging from New Hire documents, documents for transfers, leaves, professional development, commendations, as well as unsatisfactories and resign/retire/termination documents. Please see the Maintained in File page for a list of examples of documents that may be included in your employee file.

How do I submit documents?

Current employees – If you notice missing documents or have documents you feel should be included in your file, you can submit them to The Office of Employee Records, Suite 177. Be sure to have your employee ID number on the documents. We will review the documents and determine if they are relevant to be included.

Schools & Administrative Departments – Schools and departments like to purge their files on occasion and submit retired or terminated employee files. You can submit those files to our office also. You can send a file or a box(s) as needed. Please be sure to let us know who you are what school or department you are from.

Note: you can not submit a negative document directly to us. Please go through the Employee Relations department for approval.

What happens to my documents once submitted to The Office of Employee Records?

Documents are reviewed for quality control and scanned into the employee’s personnel file. All files are maintained electronically at The School District of Philadelphia. Original copies are securely archived offsite.

How can I view my employee file?

All files are electronic and will be printed per request. Current employees are entitled to a copy of their personnel file once per school year at no cost. To obtain a copy, submit a request in writing with your signature, valid photo identification, and current contact information to The Office of Employee Records. You will receive your file via mail when completed.

How long will it take for document requests to be completed?

Typically, requests are completed within 5 business days, depending upon your request. However, due to high volume cycles (school opening and school closing) and the more than 20,000 current employees served, the timeline may be affected. We are sensitive to the urgency of your request(s) and will try to meet the specific needs of each circumstance.

Are medical health records also maintained in my employee file?

No. Employee health records are governed by HIPPA Laws restricting access to these records. Health Services files typically are obtained via subpoena. Questions regarding medical health records should be directed to Employee Health Services (EHS): 215-400-4600, Option 6.

How do I remove documents from my file?

Disciplinary documents can be removed in accordance to union guidelines by submitting your request to Employee Relations. If your request is approved, it will be forwarded to Employee Records for removal. Once removed, you will receive a letter of notification.