Formerly ACT 153
AMENDED BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS
Recent updates to the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law require school district employees to obtain criminal background checks (state and federal) and child abuse clearances on a regular basis. The three required clearances are as follows:
- PA Criminal Background Check
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- Dept of Education FBI Fingerprinting (federal background check)
Timeline for Background Check Renewal
On July 1, 2015, the Pennsylvania legislature passed Act 15, which amends the Child Protective Services Law and clarifies some changes made through Act 153. The most significant change to the Child Protective Services Law is that employees of school districts must renew their clearances every 60 months (five years), not every 36 months (three years).
The school district has updated the renewal process to comply with the change in law by placing employees into annual renewal cycles based on hire year. For each upcoming cycle, employees will be required to renew by December 31 of the year prior to clearance expiration to ensure compliance for the full 60 month period. A notice will be sent via email to employees with specific information on their upcoming renewal period.
Please refer to the table below for your clearance deadline.
|Your Hire Year||Your Clearance Renewal Deadline|
When you have obtained all three clearances, how to submit documents to the school district:
You can upload the documents online, email, or hand-deliver the documents as described below.
- Online Submission: A dedicated online system is available to collect and track clearances. Scan and save each document as an individual PDF file. To submit your clearances online:
- Navigate to your School District login page (www.philasd.org/login/) and sign in.
- On your login page, click the green “Clearances” icon to access the portal where you will upload your clearances.
- NOTE: The Tracking System will only accept PDF files!
- Email Submission: Scan and save the documents as individual PDF files. Attach files to email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hand Delivery of Paper Submission: Clearances may be submitted in person to Employee Records, located at 440 North Broad Street, Philadelphia PA, First Floor, Suite 177 during business hours. Be sure to retain a copy of each document submitted for your records.
How do I get my background checks?
The three required clearances include Child Abuse Clearance, Pennsylvania Criminal History and FBI Fingerprinting. FBI Background must be issued by Department of Education. Please refer to table below for information on how to apply for clearances.
|How to Access||Fee||Summary||For Assistance|
|Child Abuse Clearance||https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home||$13||
|Pennsylvania Criminal History||https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp||$22.00||
Where can I find my clearance reference numbers?
The Child Abuse Clearance certificate number is found in the upper right hand corner of your certificate. See sample Child Abuse Certificate.
The PA Criminal Background Check number is found on your criminal check certificate. The number generally begins with an “R.” See sample PA Criminal Background Check Certificate.
The FBI Fingerprint reference number is the UZSV number found your fingerprint results. . Please note that your UZSV number can also be found on your fingerprint receipt or proof of submission form.