Out of Area Coverage
You’re covered while traveling. Check how to access services based on your benefits, Keystone or Personal Choice or on-line through MD Live.
If you need medical care when you are away from home, you should follow these guidelines:
Urgent and Emergency Care:
- In a true emergency, go to the nearest ER.
- In an urgent care situation, find a provider in the area. Call 1-800-810-BLUE (TTY: 711) to find an in-network provider in the area. You may also visit an urgent care center for medical issues if an in-network provider is unavailable and if you do not require the medical services of an emergency room.
- Prior to visiting a physicians office, it will be necessary for you to obtain a pre-approval. It is important to understand that pre-approval is not the same as the process for
receiving referrals from your PCP.
If you or a dependent are away for an extended period, in order to access a comprehensive range of medical benefits, including routine and preventive services, you will need to enroll in a Guest Membership. You may be eligible to be on a Guest Membership for up to a 12 month period (6 months followed by 6 months upon approval of a renewal request). Dependents may be eligible to be on a Guest Membership for a period of up to 12 months without a renewal request. Members who are eligible to participate must also meet the following criteria:
- Long-term traveler — available to qualified HMO subscribers and dependents that are away from home for at least 90 consecutive days (3 months), but not more than 180 days (6 months) or group renewal date.
- Families apart — available to qualified dependents of the subscriber that do not reside in our service area for 90 or more consecutive days.
- Students — available to qualified dependents of the subscribers that are out of our service area for 90 or more consecutive days attending school.
- Completed KeystoneGuestMembership forms can be sent to Independence Blue Cross for processing.
In order to access care when you travel, you can take advantage of in-network benefits if you use participating Blue Card providers in the United States. To locate doctors and hospitals wherever you or a covered dependent need care (have your member ID card handy):
To locate doctors and hospitals wherever you or a covered dependent need care (have your member ID card handy):
- Visit the National Doctor & HospitalFinder at www.BCBS.com.
- Use the National Doctor & HospitalFinder app for Android,* iPhone, iPadand iPod Touch.** (Rates from your wireless provider may apply.)
- Call BlueCard Access® at1.800.810.BLUE.2583.
Blue Cross Blue Shield Global: As an eligible Blue Cross and Blue Shield member, you can find doctors and hospitals outside of the United States, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.
See a doctor anytime, anywhere through MD Live. MD Live offers secure, 24/7 access to board-certified physicians via secure video chat, over the telephone, or through the mobile app.
See below for more information:
Want to get a patient summary of you MDLIVE visit? From the MDLive app, Login:
- Select Appointments from the bottom menu bar
- Select History from the top menu bar
- Select the doctor visit they want more information on
- Click on Consultation Summary under Documents