Flexible Spending Account FAQs


When can I enroll?

Eligible employees may enroll during our Voluntary Benefits Open Enrollment in November for plan year starting in January of the next year. However, you can enroll in either or both Commuter Reimbursement Accounts at any time during the year by logging on to www.philasdflexbenefits.com.

Can I get a card for my spouse/dependent?

Participants receive two (2) debit cards for their account.  They may choose to give their dependent the second card that is issued to them and have their dependent sign the back, or they can add their dependents on the myFlexDollars.com site and request an additional card in their dependents name. There is a $5.00 fee for the additional dependent cards.

I did not receive my debit card. Who do I contact? 

If you have not received a debit card for yourself, verify your correct address is on record with the District. This can be done by logging into the Payroll Application. Please contact Payroll if you require an address update. If your address is correct, contact the Employee Benefits Center at 1-800-307-0230 between 8:30AM – 5:30PM EST Monday through Friday to check debit card status and to order a replacement card.

What are Qualifying Life Events?

For tax-advantage plans, the IRS limits enrollment changes to open enrollment or when you experience a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). QLEs revolve around changes in job, location, income, or family status. For example, a change in family status or household size qualifies. This could include marriage, separation, gaining a dependent, losing a family member, and court-ordered family dependent changes.

For information on QLEs for a dependent care account, click here.

How much should I contribute?

The amount depends on your annual expenses for health care and dependent care. You should estimate based on how much you spent the previous year for out-of-pocket cost related to health care, vision, prescription drugs, and dental work. Also consider expenses that you anticipate will incur in the participation year as well, such as potential-dependent care cost or a dental/medical procedure. You can contribute up to the plan’s maximum allowed limit set each year.

As a reminder: Health and Dependent Care FSA contributions are “use it or lose it” funds, unused balance at the end of the grace period of the plan year will be forfeited. Please estimate carefully.

Can my spouse/domestic partner or dependent child(ren) use my Medical FSA account to get reimbursed or pay for health care related expenses?

Eligible dependents include children under 13 who qualify as a tax dependent, children 13 or older with a disability, and those who qualify as a tax dependent including spouses or persons with a medical or physical inability to care for themselves.

Can I get reimbursed from my Dependent Care FSA as soon as I pay the provider?

You can only be reimbursed, up to your contributed amount, for the care that has already been taken place. If the care has not started and you paid up-front for the cost, you will not get reimbursed until the care for the child fulfills the time period for which you paid. For example, you paid $300 in August for daycare in September and submitted claims for the amount in August. You will receive reimbursement in October for the $300 you spent in September.

When can I start using the funds I elected?

For Medical FSA, your annual election fund is available for you to use on January 1.

For Dependent Care and Commuter FSA, your funds are added to your card after each pay. You do not have access to these funds until your payroll deductions start and the payments post.

How do I submit a claim for reimbursement?

TIP: The IRS does not allow Commuter Transit claims to be submitted manually.  All transit charges must be paid using the debit card. There may be an exception due to the pandemic. Please contact Baker Tilly Vantagen at 1-800-307-0230 between 8:30AM – 5:30PM EST Monday through Friday.


Why isn’t my FSA card working? 

If you are in an unpaid leave of absence, you will not be able to use your FSA card.  You have the option to submit a claim for services directly to the vendor. Please contact our vendor at 1-800-307-0230 between 8:30AM – 5:30PM EST Monday through Friday for more information on submitting a manual claim.

I am separating from the District. When does my FSA deactivate?

Your FSA card is deactivated the first day of your separation. You have the option to submit manual claims through your last day of employment. You will have the option to COBRA your remaining medical flexible spending account balance.