Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance Program for Student Climate Staff

Student Climate Staff and Early Childhood Food Service Workers are eligible for a fully paid Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance program, managed by The Hartford.  Enrollment is automatic at the completion of your probation.

This plan does not apply to anyone other than Student Climate Staff and Early Childhood Food Service Workers represented by Local 634.

Below are a few important points to know about the STD plan.

What is STD?

Short-term disability insurance pays a percentage of your salary if you become temporarily disabled, meaning that you are not able to work for a short period of time due to sickness or injury (excluding on-the-job injuries, which are covered by workers compensation insurance).


You are eligible after you complete your 90 day probationary period. You must be actively at work with the District on the day your coverage takes effect.

How to File an STD Claim

If you have a disability caused by sickness, non-work injury or pregnancy and you have exhausted your District Personal Illness (P.I.) days, you can file a claim.  To file a claim, call The Hartford at 1-888-301-5615. You will have a period of seven (7) unpaid calendar days before benefits are paid.

Click here for more information.


The weekly benefit is 60% of your pre-disability earnings up to $400 per week. The benefit will be payable for up to 26 weeks after the seven (7) day unpaid period is satisfied.

If you have another job with the District, benefits are only paid based on your earnings as a student climate or early childhood food service worker.  You cannot be working in your other position while out on disability in this position.

Your STD benefit is subject to FICA tax and Pennsylvania state unemployment tax which the Hartford will automatically deduct from your check. You may elect on Form W4-S to have The Hartford withhold federal income tax. If you do not elect federal tax withholding, you are still responsible for payment when you file your taxes. We encourage you to consult a tax professional about any state or local tax liabilities.

You will receive a Form W-2 reporting your STD payments from The Hartford after the end of the year.